Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

my dishwasher is leaking when I run a cycle.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Where does it appear to be coming from, side, or bottom or where?

Customer:

from the bottom of door near the corners

Repairman1981 :

do this, take some baby powder and put on the door seal and let it spray 10-15 seconds, then open it and see where the leak is occuring

Customer:

ok...just a sec

Repairman1981 :

k

Customer:

i can't see any on the sides. when i just opened the door, it leaked from the bottom of the control panel. could it leak there and then down the sides to the bottom and appear to be leaking out the bottom?

Repairman1981 :

It cannot leak just from the control panel area, but the latch could be getting wet and it running to the control panel

Repairman1981 :

The door seal is still the cause there

Customer:

the seal is not on the door.

Repairman1981 :

I know, but it touches the door and prevents water from getting on the outside of the door, specifically where the latch is and is the only way water can get to the control board, BARRING a huge crack in the inner door panel

Customer:

could the latch be not latching tight enough and causing the leak? or is it the seal?

Repairman1981 :

not really, however some models have an adjustable latch pin, if there is a big screw in it and a oval cutout, you can loosen and slide it back then tighten, this would tighten up the door and prevent having to buy a seal

Repairman1981 :

Based on what we're seeing right now you should replace the door seal

Customer:

ok. do i just get one from sears, or is there somewhere else to check? also, do you have a cost guess?

Repairman1981 :

if you have a model number I can look it up, but sears is where I would send you, www.searspartsdirect.com

Repairman1981 :

So ..... if you need me to I can, if not just lookup and order from them

Repairman1981 :

Definitly check on the adjustment though

Repairman1981 :

It will save you the cost of a seal

Repairman1981 :

they aren't a lot but 30-50 bucks is the norm.

Customer:

ok i will give that a try. thanks

Repairman1981 :

Usually they just press out and in

Repairman1981 :

no problem, lemme know if you need anything else, have a great rest of your new years evening

Customer:

could the vent in the door be leaking?

Customer:

could the vent be leaking?

Repairman1981 :

could be, but unless it's BAD out of level it would be leaking from the left side not from the control area

Repairman1981 :

it would be literally CROOKED if it were doing that

Customer:

when i open the door, that's where most of the water is coming from. in that area

Repairman1981 :

I need a model number from you to see which type of vent you have, the leak should be from the bottom of the door not the side if your vent is the issue

Customer:

model 665

Repairman1981 :

and the rest?

Repairman1981 :

665.xxxxxxxx is the model

Repairman1981 :

well never mind

Repairman1981 :

Sears's lookup is down till 6 am central time

Repairman1981 :

We will have to continue this in the am

Customer:

also, i just rubbed my fingers on the side of the door, and there is no moisture there

Repairman1981 :

I can't lookup sears anywhere but sears unfortunately

Customer:

ok. how do we do that?

Repairman1981 :

just return to this question, you will get a lin

Repairman1981 :

link

Repairman1981 :

I will be on around 8:00 central or so

Customer:

ok. thanks. talk to you then.

Repairman1981 :

k

Customer:

I took the vent off last night and found that it was TOTALLY clogged with gunk. I cleaned it out and ran a cycle and it didn't leak anymore. I guess the gunk clogged the draining feature. Any way, it works without leaking now. Thanks for your help.

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands