Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

I have a GE side by side refrigerator that I love but recently

I have a GE side by side refrigerator that I love but recently the freezer will not freeze unless you have stuff on the very bottom and the refrigerator part is not very cold either. If you put anything in the bottom drawer it will freeze it. The model number is XXXXX BS
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Is there a fan running when you hold the door light switch pressed for 30 seconds?

Customer:

No fan running

Repairman1981 :

Then you either have a bad control board or a bad fan motor

Repairman1981 :

Unfortunately this isn't easy to diagnose since it's a multi phase DC motor .... you cannot put a meter on it to measure voltage

Repairman1981 :

So we'll try a symptom based diagnosis?

Customer:

My husband said he hear the fan coming off and on and then a smell of something burning?

Repairman1981 :

When did it start and what all happened?

Repairman1981 :

where was the smell coming from inside the freezer?

Repairman1981 :

Usually the coming on and off would be the boaqrd on the back

Customer:

no outside

Repairman1981 :

However the fan motor could be the cause if you smell the burning inside

Repairman1981 :

Ok ..... remove the back panel (the 1' x 10" panel above the machine comprtment)

Customer:

to be honest we smelled it while standing near the freezer portion, but on the outside

Repairman1981 :

if you smelled it outside it's gotta be that board

Repairman1981 :

There are 3 resistors on the right side that can burn out a lot

Customer:

ok my husband is pulling the pannel

Repairman1981 :

ok

Repairman1981 :

Be careful or unplug it

Repairman1981 :

Don't touch anything, you just wanna see if there is anything burned on the board

Repairman1981 :

Most likely the board is the culprit

Customer:

ok we noticed that there was a ton of dirt on the bottom pannel

Repairman1981 :

dirt wouldn't be an issue unless it was flooded or something ...... what about under that small panel .... does the board have any burn marks?

Customer:

he had to grab some tools

Repairman1981 :

ok

Customer:

he's pulling the cover off now

Repairman1981 :

ok

Customer:

ok he's looking and he says nothing looks burnt

Repairman1981 :

Do you smell anything weird?

Repairman1981 :

From that area?

Repairman1981 :

If not open the freezer and smell there

Customer:

he said no

Customer:

no smell in the freezer either

Repairman1981 :

It would be back near the icemaker

Repairman1981 :

Unplug the fridge and pull the board

Repairman1981 :

See if there is anything burned on the back

Customer:

ok

Repairman1981 :

There are just 4 clips, and you might have to take off the 2 left side connectors

Repairman1981 :

If you smelled burning smell, there has to be SOMETHING burned somewhere

Customer:

ok he looked and said he didn't see anything there either

Customer:

should we maybe check where the fan is

Repairman1981 :

well, you should smell something

Repairman1981 :

should

Customer:

He said he didn't smell anything at the bottom either, but it happened around 1 week ago

Repairman1981 :

well it could be gone but without a smell we are back to wild goose chase

Customer:

great

Repairman1981 :

here's the deal

Repairman1981 :

Board is super easy to swap but 149.99

Repairman1981 :

Fan should be around 60-80 bucks but a pain in the butt

Customer:

he said that the fan is covered in caked on dirt and excuse my language but crap

Repairman1981 :

I can tell you 90% of the time the board is the culprit (just did one this week EXACT same symptoms) but the fan could always be bad. My professional recommendation would be to remplace the board, see what happens, then replace the fan if the fan doesn't still work

Repairman1981 :

What do you mean by caked on dirt and are you talking about the fan on the back or in the freezer? it's probably kinda hard to see the freezer fan

Customer:

outside

Repairman1981 :

that fan won't cause your symptoms

Customer:

ok

Repairman1981 :

Clean it if you like .... god knows it needs it, but that isn't your main issue

Customer:

lol ok it does need it

Customer:

well thank you so much for your help

Repairman1981 :

Do you need any part numbers or pricing or place to order from or anything?

Customer:

probably a part number for the board would be good

Repairman1981 :

wr55x10942 and

, You can order from Marcone by calling at 1-888-464-2853 or through Repairclinic.com whichever is easier for you. Both appear to have it in stock.

Customer:

I can just go down to Hudson's and have them order one

Customer:

cool thank you

Repairman1981 :

Repairclinc might be the cheapest, and they might let you return it if it's not your problem as long as your buying the fan from them

Repairman1981 :

No problem, lemme know if you need anything else, there is no charge for followups :) Thanks! Have a great new year

Customer:

you too

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands