Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a french door/bottom freezer Maytag refrigerator. It

I have a french door/bottom freezer Maytag refrigerator. It has the ice and water on the door as well. This last week I have noticed that ice is building in the bottom of the freezer. It's as if water is leaking from somewhere and pooling to the bottom of the freezer and freezing. Twice now I have had water on my floor from the overflow of ice melting.
What could this be from? The refrigerator is only 1 year old. I just don't know where to begin looking. Please help! Thanks, Amy
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing our service.

Your defrost drain is clogged. Instead of the water going down the defrost drain in the freezer its going through the freezer floor wherever it can and leaking out onto the freezer floor

Remove the parts with the red arrows in the diagram below inside your freezer. Those are at the very rear inside.

Behind those parts is the evaporator coil that defrosts about every 10 hours. The drain for the defrost is in the floor directly under those coils, its just about the size of a dime. Dig out all the ice and clear that hole. Also check that the fan blade to the fan motor is not loose and is free of ice.

Once you get that done pour a little warm water down it to be sure its clear. If its not clear find something flexible and push down through it a couple of inches.

Go around behind your refrigerator and remove the lower panel then find the tube that comes out just over the drain pan. If there is a small amount of water in that pan you will be done. The water that drains into that pan evaporates.

That will take care of it,