Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

I have a very old Whirlpool Custom Series refrigerator with

Customer Question

I have a very old Whirlpool Custom Series refrigerator with the freezer above and the refrigerator below. We have never had any issues with it, but when we just returned from a 4-day trip, we noticed it had stopped getting cool and, essentially, defrosted itself!

I am just wondering how I can get it to "turn back on" and make things cool again. The light inside the refrigerator is still working when we open the door, but the unit has not so far begun to cool itself again. What, if anything, can I do? Do you suppose a part is no longer functioning correctly?

Interestingly, we had noticed a lot of freezer ice (frost) build up in the freezer box above the refrigerator just before we left for our vacation.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay, first do you have a model number for the refrgerator?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where would I find that model number please?
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry, it should be on the inside of the fridge, on one of the side walls. It may also be on a label on the fridge door.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can find NO model number anywhere Frown
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Okay, let me ask you a couple of questions. Do you hear anything coming from the back of the freezer, like a fan running or any clicking sound every 2-3 minutes? If you open the freezer door do you hear a fan running inside? Is there still the frost/ice buildup inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have unplugged the refrigerator unit and swithed the thermostat inside the refrigerator to off. However, before I did this, I did not notice any sounds. I will plug it back in and check again.....

However, all the ice (frost) in the freezer had already melted, so those coil looking things on the ceiling of the freezer are now completely free of ice/frost.

Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Okay, yes please plug it back in and see if it starts to cool and if the fans are running. Set the temp setting back to normal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After plugging it in, moving the thermostat to cooler temps from "off", I hear nothing and certainly no fan noise.....
Expert:  Anytime John replied 4 years ago.
Could you take another look for the model number? Try looking for a metal plate on the bottom part of the unit, with the fresh food door open. It may be in a spot that is covered by the door when closed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I removed the fresh food/crisper and found the following on the inside at the bottom of the unit:

Ser S30412596
Type 14CR83
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where the refrigerator controls are, smack the knob that you turn to adjust the fresh food temperature with the handle of a screwdriver, or similar object. Let me know if you hear the compressor kick on when you do this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've been banging away on that knob and gently shaking the refrigerator....nothing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I am not receiving any response from my current expert. I have provided him with the model number, banged on the area with a screwdriver as he suggested, and now am left without any additional guidance?!
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

This is not good, you have a sealed system failure, the compressor is bad, and there is no replacement for this old unit anymore. I am afraid that you will need to replace the entire unit with a new one. Sorry about that..

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory