Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Frigidaire front load washer makes very loud clunking noises

My Frigidaire front load washer makes very loud clunking noises during the spin cycle. Sound familiar? With the back panel off, nothing is obviously wrong. Shocks, springs all in place, everything clean and dry. When I spin the drum by hand from the inside it squeaks and has rough spots - it is easier to spin from the back. Model No. GLTF1240AS0 How do I proceed? Is this model usually worth fixing? Will a new one stack with my 9 year old dryer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. Open the door and lift up on the INNER tub and see if it knocks when you lift it up and down.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when I lift up on the inner tub it does make a noise - it seems only the front of the tub moves and it moves a lot - I cant easily make the back of the tub move
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Okay, that is bad news. The tub support is broken and to repair it will require great labor and expense to repair. If the machine is more than 5 years old, I would look at replacing it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info, though it is bad news. I am looking for a part number for the "tub support" -- is it
Front Tub Shell Part Number: PS418296 ??
Is there any hope at all that I could replace it? I enjoy a challenge ...

This unit is > 5 years old - it is stacked with a matching dryer, so I would want to replace it with one that will stack with the old dryer. Is there any hope of that? (I think 2003 vintage) Is a new one likely to suffer durability problems?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

The tub support is part of the entire tub assembly, number 16 in the picture. You will also need to replace the rear half of the tub. Both part together will run around $450 and I can get you the service manual if you would like to repair it!

Diagram for GLTF1240AS0