Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My refrigerator (GE) temperature control is not working. I

My refrigerator (GE) temperature control is not working. I press the temp. control pad and put in the correct temp.(37) but the refrig continues to operate much colder When we got back from vacation the filter had frozen and when I opened the door and warmed up the interior,the frozen and cracked filter thawed and lots of water came out.I removed the filter and the water stopped. I read the manual and followed the instructions to reset the factory specs.,but no luck. The refrigerator continues to drop temp below frezing. Is this a fixable problem, or do i need a new refrigerator?
GE Profile Artica Model PSS25SGN
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

ok so there is a common problem associated with this problem on your model. In the upper back left corner of your refrigerator is a damper assembly. This assembly has the refrigerator thermistor (thermostat) and a flap that shuts off the cold air from the freezer going into the refrigerator. The hinges on this flap commonly break and then the flap gets stuck open and can't stop the air from flowing into your refrigerator. You'll want to replace this damper assembly to fix your problems. Below is a link to the part you'll want to order.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I assume this location is on the exterior of the unit. How difficult is it to replace the damper assembly,i am not a mechanical engineer ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no, it's not on the exterior of the unit. It's against the back wall inside the refrigerator in the upper back left corner. If you're handy you can replace this part, it doesn't take a lot of skill but it will take about 30-45 minutes or so.