Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  Install, repair and trouble shoot
26609390

I have a GE GFC325F garbage disposal. I have tried the broom

I have a GE GFC325F garbage disposal. I have tried the broom method to get it to move. It humms but no rotation. It is backing up on this side only. It does not back up when I run the dishwasher. I used a snake to go through the drain in the disposal. It still backs up. Any suggestions?
Debi
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

If you cant turn the dispoal one way with the broom, then go the opposite direction. If it is still frozwn up then you will most likely need to replace the disposal.

How old is the unit??

If you just need to drain the sink for now then bail out as much of it as you can then place a bucket under the sink and under the disposal unit. Then unscrew the pipes and let the water drain into the bucket.

***

Looking forward to your reply,

Charles

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2005 nothing moves when i use the broom handle it moves the whole disposal. it has slowly drained and only an inch or two left in disposal
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Ok, My suggestion is to replace the disposalbut if thats not an option we can try to get it going. Do you know what has jammed it up so good?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no idea-i found out thtat they no longer make this model so i guess i need a new one. tried every method i can think of researched it on the net and you gave me the same answer.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

The only other thing I could suggest is to have another person get under the sink and hold it from spinning while you turn the blades.

Ive been doing this for over 25 years and when it comes to disposal units there are only so many things you can do.

If you reach into the unit can you feel if the blades are spinning free??

(make sure its turned off first)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no place for an allen wrench so that won't work-

since i now need a plummer, is it better to buy the disposal first to avoid the surcharge the plummer will tack on?

Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that way you can pick out a good one also.

I was talking about holding the unit from twisting in placed while you broom it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
didnot help-thanks anyway
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i currently have a 1/3 hp - should i stay with it or move to a 1/2 hp
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

I always go bigger. Less wear and tear on the unit and they break down less.

Chews up the stuff faster and easier also.

Sorry we couldnt fix your disposal,

Please do not click accept unless you feel I was helpfull.

Thanks again for letting us try to solve the issue for you

Charles

Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience: Install, repair and trouble shoot