Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Whirlpool Quiet Partner III is consistently not cleaning

My Whirlpool Quiet Partner III is consistently not cleaning dishes, lower or upper rack. At times, we open the dishwasher the the detergent has just oozed down onto the silverware. It is like there is no water splashing around at all. I took off the bottom rotating arm, removed the filter screen and cleaned out particles in area below that, but still have problems.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This can be caused for two reasons, either you have a detergent issue or your disposal screen is getting clogged and needs to be cleaned out. Below is a link to a video that will show you how to clean out your disposal and take your pump apart.

If that doesn't fix your problem then it sounds like you'll need to use an additive called "Glass Magic" or baking soda to help the dishes clean (baking soda is the home remedy and doesn't work as well as Glass Magic). About 6 months ago, detergent companies changed their formulas and removed phosphates in the detergent due to regulations which makes them not perform well at all. Go to the two links below and you can read why your dishes are going to bad. The 2nd one is a video from my local news that aired recently.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
In my description of the problem, I explained what I had done already, twice, and the first suggestion was to do exactly what I had done. I don't want to pay someone to tell me to do exactly what I have already done.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
If cleaning out the sump doesn't fix the problem then unfortunately the pump and motor assembly is just not producing the amount of pressure it's supposed to and the pump and motor assembly will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took off the housing to the food grinder (no real cloggage). I have checked water tubes to upper rack spray arm and all clear of blockages. We just got this dishwasher about 3 years ago. Is it typical for a motor/pump to not last that long? Are there better options than Whirlpool.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
pump and motors commonly go bad on this unit so 3 years or not, no real designated time is given. They just tend to go bad. There are certainly other options, but every appliance can break down in different ways. Probably the most reliable unit would be a Bosch dishwasher---but again, their most common problem is the control board shorting out so when it does fail they are quite expensive to fix.

KitchenAid and Whirlpool tend to have hinge cable issues and pump and motor issues.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a round figure for parts and labor to replace a motor for a unit like this? It will help me decide what to do next. I looked at a BOSCH, KitchenAid, and Maytag this morning, which will cost me between $500-$800.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
The cost to replace the part is about $300 or so. It's not a cheap part and by time you add labor an a trip charge onto it, that's about how much it will cost you.