Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Electrolux Refrigerator Problems

I have an Electrolux 20.5 CF top freezer refrigerator. First, the ice maker stopped making ice, there's been no change to the water line and I don't see a leak anywhere. Then today, my wife opened the refrigerator door and we both say a bright flash and the light went out. I thought it was just a burned out light bulb and replaced it, but the light is still inoperative. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing our service.

In the picture below is the control panel in the fresh food section. Take the 4 screws out of that and lower that down. Can you see anything unusual there? Check the wire connector up next to the ceiling inside that panel and make sure thats locked in tight.

Is the ice maker empty? Are the fingers that rotate to scoop the ice out pointing to about 2 oclock?

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a multimeter available and I have some experience troubleshooting electrical systems. There is ice in the icemaker, the fingers are at about the ten o'clock position. I took down the four screws in the fresh food section at looked at that part. I didn't see anything unusual, all the connectors appeared to be seated properly. I used my meter and read at the contacts of the light bulb, and it read 124.5VAC.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes those connectors will get bent out of place and not make good contact with the bulb. You can probably bend those back in place.

Let me look at the ice maker for a few minutes.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it okay to disconnect that module in the fresh food section to adjust the contacts? I need to de-energize them somehow before I touch them.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes thats a good way to do it. You definitely need to remove the power.

This ice maker, if you gently tug on the fingers should move and then after moving just a bit should then start to continue without assistance. Tape the freezer door light switch off and try that. Does it rotate and fill?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, the light bulb thing has been solved. The contacts were recessed. I moved them back out and it works now. With the ice maker, I removed the module and cleaned it and removed the old ice that was in there. I rotated the arms during the cleaning process and they were at about the 5 o'clock position when I re-installed the ice maker. When I plugged it back in and moved the lever to "ON" nothing seemed to happen and I closed the door. Then I heard a sound for a few seconds and I think the arms moved to the 9 o'clock position and the ice tray was filled with water. I haven't heard the ice cubes drop yet, I guess I'll have to wait on that. BTW, my freezer doesn't have a light.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I understand waiting, give me a shout. I am in the eastern time zone. I expect to be out between 1pm and 3pm. I will be back the rest of the day until 8pm after that.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, so far nothing has happened with the ice maker. The arms have not moved at all and the ice cubes are ready to come out. I am not sure what to do here.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
You need to replace the thermostat or the ice maker. That thermostat senses when the ice maker is cold enough then starts the cycle to dump and fill. The factory part number for the thermostat is(NNN) NNN-NNNN you can shop anywhere with that number. One place online is just below.

CLICK HERE

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.