John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Replacing my drain pump on my washer, have removed clips and

Replacing my drain pump on my washer, have removed clips and hoses and pump will not pull off. Have used lubricating spray on the motor rod that is visible.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Hi I'm JOhn I will help you with the washer problem.

Your doing the proper things to remove the water pump but sometimes it gets rusted on the motor shaft so bad that the pump has to be broken then the motor shaft filed down to get rid of the rust, Heres a video on how to replace the pump .

http://www.partselect.com/PS342434-Whirlpool-3363394-Direct-Drive-Water-Pump.htm?Inventory=342434&SourceCode=4&SearchTerm=LSR7233EW0

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Looked at your video and it is similiar to the one I watched before starting project. It was reccommended that I need to break the pump and file the rust. What is the best way to break it?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Pump service. In order to service the pump, remove the cabinet. The pump is located on the end of the motor shaft. Remove the 2 thumb clips holding the pump to the motor, pry off clips with a flat screwdriver. Picture Place a container under pump to catch water and remove the clamps from hoses. The drain pump normally will pull off of the motor shaft, pull straight out on the pump towards you. The pump sometimes will become "frozen" to the motor shaft as the motor shaft can rust. You may have to break the old pump off the motor shaft if it has frozen itself onto the shaft, a large straight screw driver and a hammer can do this. I usually split the pump open using the flat screwdriver, use caution when hitting the screwdriver with the hammer so you do not drive the screwdriver through the pump and damage the motor. If the motor shaft is rusted, you should sand and clean up the shaft before installing the new pump. Change hoses to the new pump. Line the shaft of the motor up with the impeller slot on the pump, and push the new pump on the motor shaft. Replace thumb clamps and Replace the cabinet. Check your repair.

Line up the slots on the motor shaft and center of the pump. Pictu

re