Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

I have a Maytag Dishwasher, Model MDBH979AWS3, SR# XXXXX

I have a Maytag Dishwasher, Model MDBH979AWS3, SR# XXXXX The issue - power outage, when the power was restored dishwasher would not start. I have tried sevral Reste Codes. none have worked. I can get dishwasher started and run a test mode by pushing wash button and heated dry button twice each. It runs all the setting then all control lights come on and unit stops.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

Do you have any lights blinking on the control panel or is the panel dead like there is no power?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,

The only control buttons that will light our High Temp., Heated Wash and Sanitizes. Note holding the Heated Wash button for several second will lock all controls.

No other control buttons will light or respond to pressing. These incloud the Cycles, Heavy, Normal and Light.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So you have no blinking lights, the lights are on and solid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes to no blinking lights. All light stay on after runnig a test cycle by pressing the High Temp and Heated Dry buttons each twice. Unit will run a test cycle then all the control buttons light then unit stops. Control light stay on for 30 minuts.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok what has happened here is the control board has suffered a error and will need to be replaced. Hitting high temp wash heater dry twice is putting the machine into the diagnostic program/reset. In this case the machine is not going into the diagnostic program because the control board is at fault.

To replace the control board open the door, take the screws out around the inner liner behind the control panel. Once the control panel drops out it will be a matter of a few screws and swapping wires from the old to new control.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Hitting the accept button does not exclude you from asking further questions at a later date. Please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort.

Please don't leave feedback until we are completely finished,this is a process, you may want to come back later and I would be happy to give you additional assistance if needed. Taking time to give me Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,

Received part today. Turned off beaker and replaced new control board, turned power back on. I got no response from any buttons on load side of controls. The only buttons our the High Temp, Heated Dry and Sanitized control buttons. This replacement part made no change. The only card that worked was my Credit Card, cost $140.00 and Dishwasher still doesn't work. What do we do next.

Ernie

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

You will need to return the microcomputer that you have, and get a new console, the start button is what is the problem on it, the part number for the console is W10254847 , You can order the parts you need from the following places, www.apwagner.com, www.repairclinic.com, www.searspartsdirect.com, or www.partstore.com, all of these places offer easy returns and reasonable prices for their items.

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This dishwasher is less than two years old. I will order the new part. I have one question on the start button. Why does it light when going through the test cycle?

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
The start button lighting and the switch located below it is 2 different thhings, when it went throught he reset cycle, that told me the computer was good, this is why you need to replace the entire console. you also need to request a refund from the previous expert as he decided not to work with you anymore on this problem and you alread paid him for the incorrect answer he gave you earlier...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the ok to return the part ordered. I ordered the replacement part you suggested with one change. The part number W10254847 in white. When ordering the correct black the service person told me that the this part has been changed to an upgraded part, part number AP4434653 as the new part.

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
Let me know what happens...