Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Good morning, We have a GE Profile refrigerator Model PSC23NSWA

Good morning,

We have a GE Profile refrigerator Model PSC23NSWA SS, purchased in August 2007. The water dispenser line froze on Saturday. I checked into solutions for this problem online and on Sunday tried turning on the dispenser light to see if the warmth might thaw the line - even though it looks as though the lights are LED's and don't generate much heat.

After a couple of hours the water dispenser functioned fine but the freezer ice was melting and the freezer had stopped cooling and appeared to be defrosting. The temperature got as high 43 degrees F. The refrigerator had also stopped cooling and eventually reached a temperature of approximately 51 degrees F.

We emptied all of the contents of both the freezer and the refrigerator, closed the doors and left the unit on overnight. In the morning I found the temperature in the freezer and the refrigerator had returned to normal. I replaced the ice tray, turned on the ice maker and it is functioning fine. The water dispenser was also working with no problem when I left for work.

Can you tell me what could have happened and whether you feel we need a service technician to check out the refrigerator? Note that the refrigerator has been working without issue since it was installed.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing our service.

During the time that the dispenser quit was there anything else that was acting odd? Dim lights or no lit control? Was the refrigerater operating at that time, do you remember?

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Barry,

Not that I remember, the control panel worked normally. I tested the "Lock" setting and it worked fine as far as I could tell. The refrigerator and freezer seemed fine first thing Sunday morning but must have stopped cooling at some point during the day. We discovered the melting ice late Sunday afternoon when my wife went to take something out of the freezer. Then we checked the refigerator and found that it was no longer cooling.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, there is a main control board that can cause a lot of different things to happen or just one or two at a time because the components that make your refrigerator operate run on 2 different voltages, low and high.

The low voltage runs things like the dispenser light, the temperature control, fans and the damper for the fresh food section.

The high voltage operates the water valve for the dispenser, the ice maker and the compressor.

What I am missing to pin it down for sure is the one other thing thats in relation to the dispenser not working. If it were low voltage the LED would not have worked and if it were high voltage the lights inside would not have worked.

There are also individual relays for the different functions such as the water dispenser and the compressor on that main board. What I am thinking and cannot figure out is how it stopped cooling without or the water dispenser quit working without something else being noticed, thats the puzzle. They are not wired together and the only thing they have in common is that main board.

If that happened again I would definitely look around at everything, test things like the crushed or cube ice. Make sure the fans are operating (especially the one in the freezer) and if they are touch the compressor on top to be sure its warm and vibrating. Just to be sure before I ordered and changed that board.

The part number for that board is wr55x10942. There is an instruction sheet that comes with it you need to follow that to step 2.

Please ask if you have questions,
Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Barry,

So I assume that we should replace the items in the freezer and refrigerator and monitor it to see if this happens again. If not, all is obviously okay and if the problem reoccurs we should consider changing the main board. Is this correct?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
I hate to tell you to do that and you lose it all again. When you have an intermittant problem like that there is not a way to test it. If something were not working and if you had a meter I could definitely get you to the root of the problem. The way it is now its working so any testing is going to show good. I think there is something wrong, I do.

You can save this page to your favorites and return when something is not working and I will be very happy to help you test.

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You mention "I think there is something wrong, I do." - in your experience, can this be an isolated incident that may or may not occur again, or is it only a matter of time until this problem resurfaces and at that time we should have the unit tested and the necessary parts replaced?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
I do believe it will happen again, I think the problem is the main board because its the only thing the water and cooling have in common, at the present time I cannot prove that so that is a guess.

There are many connections on that board with different voltages. The next time that happens turn on the lights at the dispenser to verify you have low voltage at the dispenser, go around behind the refrigerator and touch the water inlet valve with your fingers then have someone press for water a few times to see if the valve clicks or vibrates each time the dispenser is pressed. If it does not the water line is not frozen in the door. Replace the main board on the back of the refrigerator.

If the lights do not come on do the same thing, replace the main board.

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Barry.