Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

KitchenAid KUIC15NRTS1 under counter ice maker: Stopped working.

KitchenAid KUIC15NRTS1 under counter ice maker:
Stopped working. No lights at control panel buttons. No internal courtesy light. Pulled unit out, unplugged power, re-inserted power cord into outlet. Unit "starts" [drain pump motor sound?] but only "runs" for about 5 to 10 seconds then shuts down again. No apparent observable problems with leaks, loose wires, etc.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 5 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you.

Tim Alan :

Does your unit have a drain pump in it? Some do and some do not?

Customer:

Yes, as I stated in my question, when I plug the unit back in, we get a hum noise that I assume is the drain pump starting - then it shuts down after a few seconds.

Tim Alan :

Ok just wanted to make sure that is an optional part that is not listed in the parts diagram.

Tim Alan :

The drain pump/condensate pump has a float switch in it that does cut power to the unit if it senses too much water or a flood situation.

Customer:

The unit was functioning properly until it stopped late yesterday. No unusual conditions were noted. Is there a check that I can make on the float switch?

Tim Alan :

The easiest check is to unplug the unit power cord from the drain pump and plug it directly into the outlet

Tim Alan :

the unit plugs into the pump and the pump plugs into the outlet

Customer:

OK, I will try that. What should I expect? Will you stay on the chat until I complete the check?

Tim Alan :

Yes i will stay online, the unit should start working properly if the pump is the problem.

Customer:

OK, to be clear, I need to unplug the main power cord, and then plur the pump power cord into the wall outlet to see if the pump functions properly.

Tim Alan :

What do you have plugged into the wall now the unit power cord or the pump power coprd?

Customer:

The unit power cord.

Tim Alan :

are you sure?

Tim Alan :

you all ready unplugged the unit from the pump?

Customer:

Yes. I have not performed any work on the unit. Just observed.

Tim Alan :

If you heard the drain pump running then you have the wrong cord plugged into the wall outlet

Tim Alan :

Plugging the ice maker cord into the outlet cuts out the pump

Customer:

No. It is as installed originally. I just assumed that it was the drain pump. It could have been the compressor.

Tim Alan :

How is your unit drained?

Customer:

With the drain pump into the plumbing system. I now think I understand that the unit plugs into the drain pump module and then the pump module plugs into the wall. Do you want me to unplug the unit from the drain pump module and plug directly to the wall to bypass the pump?

Tim Alan :

Yes that is were the misunderstanding is, yes make sure that the ice maker itself and not the pump is plugged into the wall outlet

Customer:

OK hold and I will do that.

Tim Alan :

ok thank you

Customer:

Ok pump unit is bypassed. Main cord plugged into wall outlet. No power to control panel or courtesy light. No noise from compressor.

Tim Alan :

Is your outlet ok?

Customer:

Yes. It is the same outlet that I used when I got the start and then stop from the unit earlier.

Tim Alan :

Ok

Tim Alan :

Are any of the buttons on the control panel working?

Customer:

No.

Tim Alan :

And or did the courtesy light come on?

Customer:

By the way. I have another unit downstairs. It is exactly the same model and age. If it comes to it, I could switch parts to identify the issue.

Customer:

No. As I stated "No power to control panel or courtesy light."

Tim Alan :

Not hard to determine at this point what it is, if the unit is dead and the pump is not the problem then it's the electronic control

Tim Alan :

It's up in the control box on top of the unit

Customer:

Is there a way to confirm that the pump is OK? Can I plug in the pump only to check it or will that harm the pump by running it dry?

Tim Alan :

Yes plug it back in it will work properly, you may have to poor some water into the ice maker bin to get it to come on?

Customer:

OK hold and I will do that.

Tim Alan :

ok

Customer:

Ok the pump works. It came on immediately, ran, and then shut off because there was no water flowing down from the bin. Is there a way to identify which control panel part we need?

Tim Alan :

Full Size Image

Tim Alan :

Item 5 is the control

Tim Alan : Electronic control

PART NUMBER: W10141364 this is the part number for the control

Customer:

Can we be sure that it is not the transformer, part no. 2?

Tim Alan :

Transformer is for the cutting grid

Customer:

OK, I guess that your recommendation is to order the control module and put it in.

Tim Alan :

Yes that is correct

Tim Alan :

Sears parts has those for 115 partselect was 175 so shop around to locate your local part stores type in appliance parts

Customer:

Very well. That's what I suspected from the start but did not want to replace parts in the blind until it was solved by gussing. I have replaced the pumps on these units before but not the control module.

Tim Alan :

The hardest part is getting to it, i have only had to do maybe six, you just about have to take the unit completely apart, the pump is a lot easier but more expensive

Customer:

Yes. These units are difficult to get into - much like dishwashers. Thanks for your help. I assume that we are done.

Tim Alan :

Your welcome, please remember to press the accept button and leave a comment, if you need further assistance just let me know, thank you and have a great day.