John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

Hi,I am doing a service on one of your older ranges a viking

Hi,I am doing a service on one of your older ranges a viking electric range with the brand name ultraline.model #VESC305 THE PROBLEM IS NO BAKE ON SELECTOR SWITCH.This is what has been done prior to service,the bake element was replaced as well as bake relay.the wiring diagram does not show the bake thermostat!The bake element works on self-clean but not on regular bake,there are 2 thermostat sensors located on the broil element inside oven cavity,not sure which one is for bake function,thinking that the problem may very well be the bake thermostat,but not sure,what do you think?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

One of the two sensors on the broil element is supposed to be mounted on the bake element. You can determine which one it is by heating one sensor at a time, and check the bake thermostat for changes in the switching point on the dial.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the 2 sensors are mounted on the broil element because one is for self clean cycling and the other for regular oven temp for bake or broil,regardless of where it is mounted,the bake element should still come on if it was working correctly.the mounting hole enters the top of oven cavity for both sensors as it would not be long enough to mount near the bake element at the bottom so there is still another problem.I checked one thermistor at the back and it read 144 ohms but did not ring out on continuity audio meter,I am not sure what the reading is supposed to be,but I am suspecting that this is probably the problem,what do you think?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
OK. Thank you. I agree that the thermistor should be replaced, before replacing other parts.