Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Bosch diswasher Model SHX46A05UC/36 is 5 years old. It

Customer Question

My Bosch diswasher Model SHX46A05UC/36 is 5 years old. It cleans fine, but it has started running noiser--during most of the cycle--sounds like an ordinary dishwasher, not the quiet Bosch that it had been.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

if this is noisy the first thing you need to do is check the water level. how much water is in the bottom after this fills?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's running now. Should I just open the door and look?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes if you would please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. The water level is about even with the top of the filter (the round thing is the middle on the floor of the diswasher.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Okay and you say this is cleaning okay? No problems with the cleaning at all correct? You may need to clean further down than just the screen and filter. There could be something in your sump assembly below that screen, I am going to send a video to show you how to take this apart, this is basically a video on a machine that's not draining correctly but it shows you how to get down inside the sump assembly and check for any foreign objects that may be down in there, click here , if there is nothing down in the sump assembly your pump will need to be replaced, the impeller on the pump is probably strip on the shaft or getting loose and you cannot replace just the impeller you would need to change the pump. I hope this helps, thanks,

one more thing I would try, since this is running and cleaning, I would add about a gallon of water to the bottom of this and see if it quiets down some, low water levels can also cause it to be loud, let me know if that quiets down.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I watched the video. When I cleaned out the filter (last week), I found a small screw with a spring--not sure if this is the one the video wanted me to remove.

Since it's running now, I'll need to wait until it finishes.

IF it ends up I need a new pump, is this something we can do ourselves or do I need a service man?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
If it needs a new pump you're better off getting a service man to replace it for you these can be difficult to do, is it still making a lot of noise or does it seem quieter? Let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It will probably be an hour before it finishes--do I just keept this window open--or is there a way to get back to you??

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
If you're not sure how to sign back on just leave this window open and reply with the wash is done, does it seem quieter you didn't mention that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't been able to get to the pump area because it's running so the sound hasn't changed.

I'll leave this open --

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay just leave this open and when the wash is done let me know, then you can take it apart and see if there's something down the sump assembly, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We took it apart--nothing really there. We ran a bit again--still noisy.

So, I guess we need a new pump. I'll call the serviceman and tell him that's what you think. Thanks for your help.

Jeannie

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay you have a happy holiday season, next best wishes, Bryan