Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Model SHU5315UC/U12 I am trying to replace the water heating

Model SHU5315UC/U12 I am trying to replace the water heating unit (480317) and I have the unit out, sides off, insulation off and I cannot figure out how to remove the bottom to access teh heating unit
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

give me a few minutes to look up the diagrams, you are replacing this is that correct,
?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is the unit, I can see it in there but I not sure how to remove the bottom with the door springs etc..
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
On this particular model you don't remove the bottom to get the heater out, have you tested your heater to make sure that is the issue with this? How did you come about buying a heater for it? I'm gathering you tested correct for continuity?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well not exactly, I had no hot water in the cycle so I went and found a forum that said I needed either a new sensor or heater. So I bought one thinking how hard can it be!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

oh, okay so you're not even sure it's bad. Boy I hate to see you put it in and waste your money, there are several problems with these Bosch dishwashers one is a lot of times on the control board it will burn with the solder joint is the goes to the heater that is the most common issue and this can be fixed by re-soldering it in most cases, do you have a voltmeter? I understand your he bought the part you probably want to put it in but you may want to save it for another day if your old one is bad. For me know if you have a voltmeter or if you able to get one, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have a voltmeter
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay and you are able to get at the plugs for the main heater part correct the terminals for the heater itself it's the big ones on the unit, put your meter on ohms and test across the two larger terminals at the end of the heater and you should get continuity if you do then the heater itself is good, you can do the same with the micros witch on the side of it and test that for continuity pushing it in and out with your screwdriver, normally it's the heater element itself is good the heater is good, if that is good then you need to check the thermistor is which is the sensor, that should have continuity also, let me know what you find, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have good OHMs so the heater is good I don't understand the micro switch? I have also a SENSOR NTC I purchased with the unit.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay if you have good ohms the heater it's good, can you return it? I know it's not cheap hopefully the place you but it will return if you haven't installed it., The sensor I would replace that's the most likely cause besides the board which you would need to take the door part and check the board itself and look for a burn mark on one of the solder joints on the board itself, if you find a burnt solder joint re-solder it and you should be back in business, if you can't return the heater I would hold onto it put it away don't put it in there's no use in putting in and now, the micros witch is basically a water level sensor so the heater doesn't come on if there's no water, is you should get continuity one way but not the other when the switches in or out I'm not sure which way I don't recall offhand, but if you put your meter on the switch would not ohms and push the switch in either it's gonna have ohms when it's pushed in or ohms when it's in the out position, I hope this information is been helpful thanks very best wishes for a happy holiday season, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.