Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an Amana LW6153WM top load washer that makes a scraping

Customer Question

I have an Amana LW6153WM top load washer that makes a scraping sound when the agitator is turned by hand and when in the spin cycle, this scrapping sound is a high pitch squeal. Also, when it starts the spin cycle, it sounds like the tub is knocking against the inside of the washer. I recently had a heavy load in the washer and during the spin cycle it was starting and then shuting off, even after rearranging the load several times. I eventually had to take most of the clothes out to get it to spin
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Check real good all the way around the inner tub make sure you don't have a nail or screw sticking and one of the holes, if you do that's probably what's scraping and causing this issue or you also need to check under your agitator itself to make sure there's nothing under there that stuck between them, sometimes you can lose one of those metal buttons or something like that in the can get stuck up underneath so check that also and let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I checked the tub and did find what looked like the end of a piece of plastic barely sticking out of one of the holes. I tried to grab it with pliers and it fell back through the hole. The scrapping sound is now gone when I turn the agitator by hand. The space between the agitator and the bottom of the tub is only about 1/8th inch so I can't check under it. So, I believe the scraping issue is over, unless the plastic or whatever it was falling back though the hole is a potential problem. I believe the knocking around may be an unrelated and more problemmatic issue for which I will have to run another load of clothes to see if that persists. If it remains, does that count as another problem for which I will have to pay for advice?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
No it doesn't count is another charge if you need to come back, you have 30 days after you accept to come back and ask any additional questions you have at no additional cost, I'm glad you found it I hope it doesn't come back I don't know what it was but that's usually when we find something like that it's something that got to one of the holes in the scraping so hopefully you got it straightened away. Thanks so much, have a great holiday season, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sent this yesterday, but it seems not to have been logged. After running a large load of laundry, the squeal was not present during the pre-spin cycle, but was back during the final spin. The agitator seemed to be fairly stable, with some wobble, but not too bad. The new twist is that there is now water leaking from under the washer. Last year, water was leaking from the pump, which I replaced, taking care of that problem. I have not opened the front of the washer to determine whether that problem has recurred.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
It's very possible that something get into the pump and that's what the noise is at this point in it also may have cause a new leak in the new pump this is very common I would take the front off and take a look at the pump on this, this may very well be the problem at this point, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will take a look and get back with you later today. Just noticed in my last question that I meant to say the squeal was not present during the pre-rinse spin cycle.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
oh okay, talk later then, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just ran another load with the front cover off. The pump is definitely leaking and the high pitch squeal seems to be coming from the pump; although, isolation of the noise definitely to the pump is not possible. During the first spin cycle, the top of the tub was moving back and forth about 1 to 1.5 inches, but this is perhaps within normal range.

Also, when I hit the green accept answer button above to accept your last response, they wanted me to pay another $30, which is contrary to what you initially told me. I just closed the browser instead. If I have to pay another $30 to end this session, I will not be too happy.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I don't know why they would tell you that, you shouldn't have to pay again it doesnt make sense, sorry about that, according to the accept you only paid me once so you should be all set, thanks, Bryan