Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

kitchenaide gas range turned off after self clean mode and

kitchenaide gas range turned off after self clean mode and oven door locked up. Help.
Submitted: 2 years ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

this is a bad thing, there are couple of things you can try, first try putting it back into self clean for about 5 min. then hit cancel pushing in on the door just a little bit to see if it will unlock, hold the door in and slightly to take some pressure off the door lock assembly the whole time if it doesn't unlock try shutting the main breaker off to the range for 10 min. and then put it back on see if that unlocks then, if not these are real tough to open and the only way we are able to do it is to create a hook from a coat hanger slide in between the door and the range at the top center and try to catch the hook and pull it over either to the left or to the right I'm not sure which because you don't have a model number, if you can remember which way the hook was facing it would be easier for you, if you can't get it open unfortunately you will need to call a technician in to get this unlocked for you, this one of the worst problems they have with ranges with self clean once they lock if they don't unlock it's very difficult to get them open, I hope one of the other options works for you, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't put it back in self clean mode because the range has turned off and will not turn back on. I unplugged it to try and see if that would reset it but that didn't work. I have never seen anything like this. why did range turn off?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay so the control is completely blank? You have no digital readout or anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
correct.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
That's not good that means the main control has failed, I've seen this happen I you sure you getting power to the range I you sure the plug we you plug it in is working correctly can you plug a lap into it to see?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is a lap? the wall socket is operational.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
sorry meant lamp. that means the control has failed. Let me take a look at this control and I'll get right back with you, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Scratch that idea there's no model number that's right I would be a look at up okay is the stove able to be moved out away from the wall a little bit? Would you be a lead-in behind it enough to take the back panel off make sure it's unplugged a lot of these KitchenAid's the lock assembly is in the back and it has a Rod that runs to the front to the latch it's possible yours is in the back and we may be able to get the door open so we can get the model number, does is have a bottom drawer? If so the model number is XXXXX in there on a tag can you check that if it does?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model#: KGRA806PSS00, Kitchenaid gas range is about 6-7 years old and in good shape.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay , you will going to need a voltmeter to find out where the problem is in this, this has two different parts there could be the problem one is the central control unit board with the relays and all that on it, and the other is the clock oven control, it could be either one of these but in order to know you will need a voltmeter and know how to test voltage you think you can do that ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a voltmeter. Kitchenaid said they could send someone out for a $250 1 year warranty fee which would include the repair or replacement of range and a 1 year warranty.

what do you think?

also, our 6 year old refrigerator which has an ice maker, is leaking water from the back at the top. this is where a plaster tube that runs up the back of frig from the bottom and into a "hole" where the ice maker is. This is where it appears the water dripping is coming from.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Well yeah I think I'm you be better off getting the new range with the new warranty because both of these parts are over $250 or close to what I think as a matter of fact the second part is showed you is $250 so yeah you know you don't know what damages done at this point it could be both boards if there was a power surge of any type. As far as the water in the back refrigerator it's coming out of the little 1/4" tube that runs up the back of the refrigerator it's leaking in the back of the refrigerator correct? If you have a model number for that I can look up that tube there very inexpensive and as a matter of fact Lowe's carries them so you can just pick up a piece a 1/4" tubing for it and just replace it it's not that hard. Let me know if you only look up the tubing for you, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.