Alan
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.
11470909

Type your question here Im trying to test the thermostat

Customer Question

Type your question here
I'm trying to test the thermostat on my dryer--where is the thermostat?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alan replied 2 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. There are more then one themostats on this dryer. The cycling themostat is located on the blower housing. There is a high limit thermostat on the housing around the back of the drum.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is a cycling thermostat? Does it regulate heat?
Expert:  Alan replied 2 years ago.
Yes the cycling thermostat is what tells the heat to turn off to keep the correct temperature in the drum. Does the gas ignite and stay on for awhile, and then go off and not come back on for a long time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It goes on and off, not staying on for long. I tried going to "air fluff" and back to heat (trying several heat settings) and the same thing happens.
Expert:  Alan replied 2 years ago.
It does sound like one of the thermostats is turning it off to fast.
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ years in the appliance repair field.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wait! I'm not done yet! I accepted your answer, but my problem is not solved.
Expert:  Alan replied 2 years ago.
You can still ask questions and I will still help you till we solve it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So can I replace it? I've tried taking out what I think it is, but cannot.
Expert:  Alan replied 2 years ago.
Yes it can be replaced. Here is a picture of where it is located, it is number 3.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay that's going to be a challenge to get that out. That is definitely the next step?
Expert:  Alan replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is the first thing to check.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got it unscrewed, now what do I do?
Expert:  Alan replied 2 years ago.
You need to replace it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a way to test it to make sure that's the problem?
Expert:  Alan replied 2 years ago.
The problem is it is going to test good but when it heats up it cycles off to quickly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this easy to buy locally without going on-line?
Expert:  Alan replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can buy it locally, just take your model number and part to your local appliance parts store.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the thermostat but hadn't run the dryer until now -- about a week later. I see the burner light coming on and staying on; in fact, I can see the glow below the lint screen when I open the door. Still, barely any heat.

What now?
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hi , After replacing the thermostat how long does the flame stay on for without the vent on the back of the dryer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I should take off the vent, including the tube that runs inside the dryer?
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Just remove the vent at the back of the dryer and tell me how long the heat is on for and how long it takes for the heat to come back on .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I removed the vent and watched the glow of the heater go off and on several times. It usually stays on for about 12 seconds and goes off for about 20. Once it stayed on for 30 seconds but went back to 12 or so.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
So your getting the igniter to glow but are you getting any heat does the igniter light up the gas?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes it does. The very first time I tried this, earlier this morning, I was actually getting hot air. But that was just that time.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

From the symptoms your getting the parts that will cause the problem are these gas coils .If you have a meter you can check the coils with a meter as soon as the gas cuts off , You should get a reading on the meter if no reading replace the gas coils.

http://www.partselect.com/PS470049-Frigidaire-5303931775-M-Series-Ignition-Coil-Kit.htm?SourceCode=1&SearchTerm=tdg546rbw1&ModelNum=tdg546rbw1

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you send me another diagram? The one you sent is for an electric range.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

This is what I sent you and its the coils for the gas valve in your dryer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It appears to be working correctly now. Dried a whole load and the thermostat worked, even buzzing when the job was done. I think the coil replacement was the answer. Thank you
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Your very welcome .

Merry Christmas.