Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

To Whom this may concern: Hello, My Waste King Modell

To Whom this may concern:

My Waste King Modell 111 has stopped working. When I turn it on, the motor just hums for several seconds then stops. Do I need a replacement or am I not aware of how to reset or restart it?
Thank you,
Spencer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Okay do you have the original Allen wrench that goes in the bottom to this up from a jam ? It originally came with an Alan wrench that you stick in the very center of the bottom of the disposal and turn back and forth until you free up whatever is jamming this up, the motor has an overload in it and if it doesn't start after a couple of seconds the overload will kick off, take a look at the bottom of the disposal in the very center and you should see a hole for which an Alan wrench can be inserted, if you don't have the original Allen wrench that came with this any Alan wrench that will fit it will work, what you need to do is put the Alan wrench in and turn it back and forth until you are able to free up the machine then you can try starting it again, make sure the machine is not on while you're trying this, if you can unplug and I would unplug it until you're ready to test it again when you're done freeing it up, I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nice to meet you, Bryon

Give me a few minutes while I find an allen wrench. I'll be back soon to click or not click.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Nice to meet you too, just come back when you're ready I will be here, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Bryon,
Sorry for the long delay.
I am using a 9mm socket to turn the nut with an allen wrench hole in the middle of it, which I have turned twice around back and forth. Is this right? So far it still just hums. Also the Allen wrench is off the side, not the center of the bottom.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I you sure you're not turning the bolts that hold the casing together? This should be a hole right in the center of the bottom, is there no hole there that you can put an Alan wrench up into? You may not see the Alan screw head not really an Alan screw it's part of the center shaft on the machine. I know it's difficult to see the bottom of these because they are so low in the cabinets but let me know, and when you turn that bottom one the one you're turning does the center down inside the disposal turn you know where you drop your food down in his that moving when you do that? I just want to make sure were talking about the same Alan screw. They're not really bolts this is actually part of the center shaft on the disposal itself, if the middle chopper plate inside is moving when you do that you are on the wrong piece