Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE Select, Side by Side refridgerator. Every so often,

I have a GE Select, Side by Side refridgerator. Every so often, the freezer side stops cooling and the temp drops considerably. After a day or two, it starts to run fine again. This occurs every other month or so. The coils in the rear have been cleaned, and the cool setting is set to 8. Any advice?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

does the whole refrigerator shut down or the just seem to stop cooling and then start up again, is there any Frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind your food but you can see it all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just the freezer seems to stop cooling. No frost at all inside the freezer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay can you open the refrigerator door and look on the side walls or the ceiling and get me the full model number? Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Okay great, the problem is with the main control board otherwise known as the motherboard, GE had to redesigned these boards because of issues like that they've got it straightened away now but you need to order and replace this, the original once had a glitch in them that cause a multitude of problems, to order this part just click the following link, click here

this is located on the back of the refrigerator behind an 8 x 10" cover, it comes with instructions so you shouldn't have any problem installing this yourself we have many customers to do this by themselves thanks and have a happy and joyous holiday season, , Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
No problem have a safe and happy holiday season, please don't forget to press the green accept button so I may get paid for helping you, thanks, Bryan