Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My front load Maytag clothes washer is leaving black marks

My front load Maytag clothes washer is leaving black marks on my whites. The rubber ring around the door is attached firmly on the outside edge but the inside edge is not. There is a lot of lint there this morning after my wife cleaned it all out last night. Would a new ring be in order and should it be attached firmly on the inside edge. Is that a fix for a novice?
Model Number MAH9700AWW
Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. Are the marks streaks or spots? Have you tried using any commercial machine cleaners? Do you use chlorine bleach?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe they are spots. My wife has used a machine cleaner but I do not know which one.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Okay, will the spots come out or are they pretty much set in? Have you noticed any water leaking on the floor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After my wife cleaned around the door with a towel, she rewashed a white suit and white pants and they were much cleaner with faint shadows of gray remaining.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Okay, you likely have a build up of mold and/or mildew throughout the machine, especially if you do not use chlorine bleach. You will likely see better results with using a commercial cleaner ATLEAST monthly. There is a stronger, industrial cleaner that works much better than anything you can purchase locally, but is sold in bulk only. However, it does a MUCH better job and will last for a couple years or more, even if used monthly, as I usually recommend. It is available at the link below.

Affresh Industrial Cleaner

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about the rubber ring? Should it be attached on the inward side so that I cannot get my fingers behind it?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
No, it can't be attached because the tub has to move. You have "gink" built up around it and all over the inside of the large, plastic outer tub. This is very common with these machines. They are a high maintenance machine. You can use a rag with chlorine bleach on it to clean the boot, but you will definitely want to use a commercial cleaner regularly to initially get rid of the "gunk" and to prevent it from coming back. Multiple applications may be necessary initially until the majority of it has broken up and washed off.