Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Maytag washer will fill, but then there is just a loud hum

My Maytag washer will fill, but then there is just a loud hum before smoke comes rolling out. There is no agitation movement. It goes through the cycle, empties the water, then there is no spin. It then fills for the rinse, but again no agitation, just a loud hum before smoke again comes rolling out. It begins to empty the water, but without the spin so I turn it off just so it won't do more damage.

Model: SAV3655AWW

Serial: 10038815CV

Can you tell me what is wrong?

Could I replace it myself?

Douglas
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Let me check your model number and I'll get back to you in a few minutes. Thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have not see an answer yet, except that you are checking the model number.

That was about half hour ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry I was out some computer issues, I'm back now, the smoke coming out is most likely the belt that's burned up, this can be caused by a few different reasons, the most common however is something either jammed in the pump or the tub is not moving freely for some reason there are two screws in the front panel on the bottom, remove those and pull out on the bottom of the front panel and it will come off the top clips, take a look at the belt and see if it has burned up in one spot or possibly even broken, let me know, thanks, Bryan

the belt is number 15 on this diagram,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,

The belt is broken !!!

Do I have to remove parts to get a new belt on ?

Just a personal note: You're the 2nd Bryan I have run across in my 70 years !!! Everyone wants to spell it with an 'i' -- but those in the olde country (Scotland) always spell it with a 'y', until just recently.

Douglas

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes sir I spell my name with a Y I'm Irish and Scottish ! LOL okay great week at the belt problem you say this is full of water is it still full of water? If it is what I want you to do if you could is to go ahead and put it on spin and see if the motor starts and it pumps the water out, the pump is connected directly to the motor so I want to know whether there is an issue with the pump and we can tell that by if it pumps the water out then we know that's not the issue it's just the belt that burned up which is not unusual on these machines to be honest, and yes you do have to take some parts off and I will explain that to you as best I can, to change the belt. But first let me know that the motor is running and pumping the water out, it won't hurt anything, it may make a little noise if the police hit the other Pulley but I worry about that just make sure it's running before we go further, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,

Water is mostly out, now. The little would be removed via the spin cycle.

When I turned it on there was no smoking -- that must have been the belt burning before -- it did smell like rubber now that I think about it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, there is one other thing you want to do before ordering in replacing the belt if you could, be careful these machines are real sharp have a lot of sharp edges, can you reach in and turn the big Pulley in the center of the machine both directions for at least a few turns to make sure the transmission hasn't locked up on it? We need to make sure you don't have a real major issue before we go into replacing the belt, if the transmissions locked up or bad it's just gonna burn up the new belt and not run anyway so if you can turn that Pulley say a couple of turns each way one way will be agitate the other way will be spin let me know if it spins freely both ways, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,

Pulley turns fairly easy, no stopping like there is anything holding it up.

I would say that the transmission has NOT locked up.

Douglas

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay great, the way you replaced the belt on these is kinda difficult but I'm sure you will be able to do it, you need to remove the whole pump and motor assembly from the tub assembly there are four bolt holding that, that if you look down inside the pump legs and other words flip the whole pump and motor over and look down the legs you will see torx screws remove those and the pump will slide off the shaft then you put your new belt around the motor and put the pump back on then flip it back over put it in the machine in both the back up then you can roll the belt on the big Pulley again and hold the idler pulley back in place the belt on that part of it you can see in the picture how it goes, you can order this at the following link if you wish. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Belt-Drive/27001007/919038?modelNumber=SAV3655AWW just make note of how the pump goes back on the motor and bracket assembly when you take this apart, good job, well done. Thank you and may you and your family have a joyous holiday season. Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.