Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a whirlpool cabrio top load washing machine model WT7340XW0.

I have a whirlpool cabrio top load washing machine model WT7340XW0. It was purchased about 1 year ago. When we start the wash cycle it proceeds as normal and starts to fill with water. But after about 30 seconds the drum should spin, but the drum does not spin. The machine sits in a dead state and the lid cannot be opened. The machine must be unplugged and replugged in before the lid can be opened. The first time it happened the code F51 flashed on the display. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
This error indicates an issue with the control sensing the motion. Since the unit agitates fine then there is probably a fault within the control itself as the only other part to cause the issue is a sensor that is on the motor which detects the motion. The control interprets the signal from that sensor, but the washer does agitate. If this is just over a year I would call Whirlpool and cry- they will most likely cover most, if not all, of the repair cost. Unless you sent in the registration card they DO NOT know when you bought it, so I am sure you bought it last December just about this time :).
I need to run calls today- any reply needed will be done when I return. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Answer implies use dishonesty regarding warranty. I would like an answer as to the most likely part that should be replaced.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

F then 51 flashes when there is a motor rotor position sensor (RPS) failure.

you need to replace the RPS, here a link to the part and a video on how to replace this,

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Rotor-Position-Sensor/W10183157/1394136?modelNumber=WTW6600SW0#repairHelpVideoTabs this will fix the issue, hope this helps, thanks Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.