Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My 15+ year old GE washer stopped agitating a couple of days

My 15+ year old GE washer stopped agitating a couple of days ago. I can't get to the model # XXXXX the moment, but it's a 7-cycle top-loader. It spins and drains, but only looks like it's trying to agitate. Is this possibly a simple (and cheap) fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Most likely your agitator drive coupling is bad on this, this is very inexpensive and easy fix yourself but also called This the drive bell, all you need to do is pull your agitator off and under the agitator there is a bolt remove the bolt and Pull the Drive Bell off, put the new one on and put the bolt back on then slide the agitator back on snap into place these strip on the inside and don't hold the shaft so they don't move, you can order this at the following link for $5.85, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Block-or-Bell/WH49X10042/1195917 thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'd really like to see this part first before I order or try to buy one locally, but i can't get the agitator off. Is there a trick to that?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
There's no real trick you just have to get you fingers underneath it on each side and pull up hard it will come off. Be extremely careful like it myself in the face a few times when they finally do Pop off, they just snap down onto that plastic piece I showed you which is the coupling so once that's off you will see what I'm talking about it's right under the agitator but sometimes these agitate is a real hard to pull off so you may have to jerk it hard just in the face when it comes loose, that's all there is to it there are no screws holding the agitator itself it just snaps onto that piece I showed you,