Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Bosch oven is not heating up properly. The broiler element

My Bosch oven is not heating up properly. The broiler element is red but when I set it to "Convection Bake" it will not heat to temperature.

It will heat up when the dial is set to "Convection Roast".

I don't use my oven very often but lately it's not reliable and I wonder if I should replace it?

Can you tell me what a new elements for my oven would cost?
Bosch model# XXXXX
Serial #: FDB002
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Most likely it sounds like you may have a bad convection element behind the back panel inside the oven. Pull everything out of the oven and turn the circuit breaker off. Remove the light covers and and all the screws going into the back panel so you can see the element. Then pull the element out and replace it. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for my delay in responding -

Thank you - This sounds like it could be the problem, but does this "convention heat element" also serve the regular elements - because when I try to bake on the regular conventional setting - it doesn't heat up either.

I looked inside my oven and it looks like I can easily take out the screws etc. Is it really this simple? Just removing the back plate - the lights covers and old element and pugging in a new one?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the convection element is used for normal bake settings as well---there is a bake element as well but it won't work right without the convection element. This part really is fairly easy to replace but don't mix up the wires going to the element when you install the new element. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so.