Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

REPAIR OR REPLACE FRIGIDAIRE DRYER M#FDE546LB52 S# XXXXX PURCHASED

REPAIR OR REPLACE FRIGIDAIRE DRYER M#FDE546LB52 S# XXXXX
PURCHASED 1995-6...SUDDENLY, BURN SMELL; DRYER OFF AND PULLED PLUG. BELT THAT TURNS DRUM? TOO EXPENSIVE TO FIX?

REPAIR OR REPLACE FRIGIDAIRE WASHER M# XXXXX S#XC63086053
PURCHASED SAME YEAR...SOMETIMES WATER ESCAPES BEHIND MACHINE NO MATTER SAFE WATER LEVEL OBSERVED TOO EXPENSIVE TO FIX?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

was this an electrical burning smell?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not sure if electrical, but no fire./no smoke..only burnt rubber smell...

we checked for lint removal...all clear...

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
so the belt is good and in place or will you able to check that yet? To see me the weather the belt just burned up on it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How to get to the drum belt...back or top of machine?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Let me look up the diagrams and I'll send them to you I'm not sure on your model, was ready squeaking or squealing at all before this happened? If the rear drum bearing wears out the drum will hang and squeak or squeal and then sometimes the belt will burn up. Plug it back to you in just a little bit, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay yours is pretty easy to check the belt, the top on your dryer just lift up in hinges back, there are two clips you need to pushed in with a screwdriver in the front between the top and the front panel, number nine on this diagram, just use a putty knife push them in and lift the top up you will see the belt run around the drum, if you don't see the belt obviously a broke and fell down inside, see if the belt is tight and still connected underneath you will be able to tell easily his a diagram,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hmmm, if the rear drum bearing wears out??? No noises prior to this sudden occurrence. It does seem to me, as an afterthought, that the dryer seemed to dry hotter than "perm press". For a couple of months, we have not used the high heat setting.

We're in California...$129 svc call just to look at it (Sears) as we are 35 miles from nearest city. I've been thinking between fixing the dryer and the washer could run quite a bit to fix...though I have taken good care of the appliances, it seems the life left in them may not warrant fixing? I would have to take advantage of sales at this particular time of year. I don't know how these appliances were rated by reviewers originally...Frigidaire has lost their reputation over the years? It is worth the $30 to be able to make a good decision here. O.K. just got your msg to open dryer up...there is a thin black "belt" that appears quite snug on the drum...there is lint of course so I'll vacuum that but I don't imagine it has any effect. Is a rear drum bearing expensive to replace? The cost of the part, you think?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay there are couple of things then if it was overheating it could be a thermostat issue and it possibly could be overheating for sure because the one of those, is the washer running correctly still?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The washer does a good job, just can't figure out why it only leaks some of the time. I am careful to use proper level of water...no problems before. One thing, we do have hard water, so wondering if some hose connection needs to be cleaned of deposits. This will make you laugh: I run the gray water to the outside, down the hill on the rural property...have wondered if a critter/critters may have blocked the water from draining out those particular incidents....but that just sounds too simple. I have bait under the house, but the hose extends 25' down the hill and I am laughed at when I suggest this might be the case...of mice, rats, snake, baby critter(s) ???

Repair versus replace dryer, if thermostat?

Repair versus replace dryer, if rear drum bearing?

Repair versus replace dryer, if both?

What is your best guess?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
If you needed to replace the Bearing or one of the thermostats you probably looking at about $80 in parts if you did both, somewhere around $35 apiece for them, as far as the washer goes you will need to check by running a load and seeing how fast the water is coming out side when it drains, if there is a blockage it can backup and you will have water once in a while sometimes it may not do it sometimes it will, I'm giving you a site you can look up all the parts for your dryer if you wish, then you can determine whether you want to just go with a new set or attempt repairing this yourself, I live in a rural area also and I run my washer the same way, everything is biodegradable nowadays anyway so it's not an issue, here is a link to a site with all of the parts for your dryer, http://www.repairclinic.com/Frigidaire-Dryer-Model-FDE546LBS0-ID-544805-Parts?s=t-FDE546LB52-%3d%3dd544805b2a8 you can kind of make a decision from there on whether to replace these or attempt the repair yourself, most likely it's one of the thermostats making it over heat there are several however so I'm giving you another link to all the diagrams, these are old machines so you may want to consider new ones because of the things are gonna go in these eventually and is no telling when, here is a diagram link, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Frigidaire-Parts/Dryer-Parts/Model-FDE546LBS0/1428/0151200?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=FDE546LBS0 thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.