Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi my Maytag performa series washer just stopped during the

Hi my Maytag performa series washer just stopped during the spin cycle.
There is water still in the bottom and I cannot start it again.
I made a mistake in that I had a sizeable load of laundry in there but had it
set on "mini" wash (so, not too much water was in there).
I smelled a kind of burning smell (not really bad but nonetheless it was there- I
thought maybe it was the furnace coming on.)
Anyway, I can't get it to do anything now and I also checked the electrical outlet
and the breaker switch, but it appears to definitely be the washer, just won't turn on.
What should I do? Should I call a repairman? Should I replace the washer?
Thanks so much for your help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Do you have the full model number?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan, I don't have the full number with me,

Here's what I have: Maytag Performa, oversize capacity, quiet series, heavy duty 2rp

I'm not home right now.

Maybe I should just contact you tomorrow.

let me know what you think,

james

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can contact me tomorrow that's fine I will be here just leave me the model number and I'll take a look at your diagrams and electrical and see if I can tell you what the major problems are on these machines, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I log in to you from my house in 8 minutes or so?

How do I reach you from another computer?

james

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Just log back in and any message you send about this question will be directed to me personally so you don't need to search for me just open up this question again and type a reply and I will receive it. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan, here's the model number: PAV2300AWW

I couldn't find you at my house, so here's the number anyway,

also the price was increased at my house to $50,

so I wasn't sure what to do... anyway, let me know if this number helps

james

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
it shouldn't have been increased, I'll look into that. when you turn this back on you hear nothing at all ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I pull on the knob that turns to select a function,

there's no response at all, no sound, no movement, nothing,

it just pulls out, but no reponse.

james

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no I don't, unfortunately

Bryan, maybe we're a little out of my league here,

I guess I just want to know if I should call someone in, buy a new appliance

or something else...

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well if you smelled something electrical it probably the motor but this should put water in anyway , I'm thinking the lid switch has failed. do you remember if this fill with water with the lid up ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've always had the lid down when I turn it on,

so I don't know if the lid switch had anything to do with it.

I just don't know if it fills with water with the lid up,

I've always had it down to fill and do everything,

thanks

james

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, its not even putting water in now right ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it won't fill up with water either, nor will it drain.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well its one of two things then for sure . 1 the lid switch failed or 2 the timer is bad, you can test the lid switch with a meter but you cant test the timer. these machines after 5 years or so start to fall apart, u may want to think about a new machine at this point, whirlpool top load direct drive are the best out there today, thats about all we can do without a meter. sorry, thanks Bryan. p.s. you will only be charged the original price if you accept,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.