Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

frigidaire gallery series gas oven burning too hot

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you get us the full model number? when you say the oven burner is too hot do you mean the whole oven is above the temperature it's supposed to be? or you say the burner is burning too hot too big a flame?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model number GLGFZ386FC

wHEN WE SET THE OVEN TO bAKE AT A RELATIVELY LOW TEMPERATURE, SAY 275 WE GET A HIGH FLAME COMING OUT OF THE BROILER. IF WE DONT DO ANYTHING ELSE IT OVERHEATS AND EVENTUALLY WE HEAR A SERIES OF BEEPS AND THE DISPLAY THEN READS F10.

IF WE SET THE OVEN TO BROIL LOW WE GET A VERY HIGH FLAME FROM THE BROILER.

IN BOTH CASES, BAKE OR BROIL, WE ARE ABLE TO HIT CLEAR / OFFBEFORE IT GETS TOO HOT AND THE FLAME WILL SHUT OFF.

A THIRD SYMTOM THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE IMPORTANT IS THAT THE OVEN LIGHT WILL NOT TURN OFF.

PLEASE HELP.

THANKS
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay it seems you have a lot of trouble with this, is this natural gas or propane? Is the problem with just the broiler or bake but not the top burners? If so would really never reaches the right temperature adjust overheats but your getting a very large flame also correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are using propane.

The stove top burners work normally.

Yes, we are getting a very large flame in the oven that only comes out of the top (broiler) burner regardless of whether we set the oven on bake or broil. In fact the flame is larger if we set it on broil. Also, the flame has a large orange component.

When on bake setting the flame does not seem to respond the the temperature control. If we lower the temperature setting the flame does not reduce or go out.

We should also tell you that we just bought this unit used and transported it laying down on its back in the back of my SUV. Is it possible that I knocked some of the gas piping loose in moving it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Okay the F10 is a runaway temperature error, (F10 only) Check *RTD Sensor Probe & replace if necessary. If oven is overheating, disconnect power. If oven continues to overheat when the power is reapplied, replace EOC. Severe overheating may require the entire oven to be replaced should damage be extensive.

*RTD SCALE

Temperature (°F)Resistance (ohms)
32 ± 1.91000 ± 4.0
75 ± 2.51091 ± 5.3
250 ± 4.41453 ± 8.9
350 ± 5.41654 ± 10.8
450 ± 6.91852 ± 13.5
550 ± 8.22047 ± 15.8
650 ± 9.62237 ± 18.5
900 ± 13.62697 ± 24.4

You would need to check the resistance on your sensor to address this issue the temperatures above that the sensor is that and the ohms at it should be our on that chart above, the large flame may be causing this issue because the sensor is on the back wall near the top so a large flame would overheat the sensor quickly so possibly there is no issue with the sensor it's just sensing an overheat, this is the oven temperature sensor, as far as the large flame your orifice on your broil needs to be adjusted, you would need to turn it in to bring the flame down, now on to the light stays on that probably has something to do with the door switch may be laying the oven down on its back possibly did some damage to the door switch, you have so many problems it's hard to go through it all but those the basics of what's going on with yours I think what you adjust the orifice on the broiler the oven will work fine you may need to replace the door switch however to fix the light problem, I'm giving you a link to all the parts so you can take a look at them and order what you need, here's the link, http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts?s=t-GLGFZ386FC-%3d%3de I hope this is into overwhelming if you feel it is you may want to call a service tech in to adjust the orifice for you, thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan:

Thanks for your informative answer which we will accept. However, the question remains as to why we are getting flame out of the top (broiler) burner regardless of whether we ste the unit to bake or broil. Any insight would be appreciated

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I should've explained that, the broiler comes on when you put this in bake to help it preheat but if you getting large flame it's going to overheat the sensor right away which will cause your F10 problem, so that's why you get the flames out of the top of the broiler when you put the oven on it's just to help the oven heat up quicker for you in preheat, I should've mentioned that sorry thanks, Bryan,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.