Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My washer makes an ungodly screeching noise in the wash cycle.

My washer makes an ungodly screeching noise in the wash cycle. It is intermittent in that it comes and goes as the agitater changes direction. Lubrication?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is the noise only happening when it's agitating about once every time the agitator switches directions?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok then this isn't a lubrication issue this means your brake is slipping and the brake will need to be replaced. It requires a specialty tool to replace this part so you'll want to have a technician replace this part.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
To be honest, even though I expect the answer is correct, chances are I will have to pay an in-home tech AGAIN for the same info. Is your fee negotiable?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
unfortunately I can not change the value at all---it's all pre-determined before I ever seen the question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well you see my dilemma. I don't see this as good value.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
alright well I wish you the best of luck, unfortunately I have no control over what you are asking I can only be here to answer your questions and let you know what is going on.