Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a magic chef double door refrigerator. The freezer

I have a magic chef double door refrigerator. The freezer is freezing but the refrigerator is 60*
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. Is there any Frost on the back wall inside the freezer section behind your food? Check real good, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
a little
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay this means you have a defrost issue, if the freezer is not defrosting the coils get clogged up and not able to send the cold air into the refrigerator section, is the fan in the freezer running can you hear it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay then this is definitely a defrost issue, remove the back panel inside the freezer behind the food and you will see that the coils are frozen solid a lot of Frost, unplug the refrigerator take a hairdryer in defrost all of the coils until they are clear then plug it back in, on this particular refrigerator it's gonna be one of two things well actually could be one of three things but you need to check two things in the freezer section, one the heater assembly which comes on and heats up an defrosts the coils, check both of these for continuity if they have continuity check the defrost thermostat for continuity, this is clipped to the top of the coils and needs to be checked while cold, it's very important that the coils or cold while you test this, if it has continuity is good. If both of those are good you need to defrost timer, you can't really test this like the others but if the others a good this is the problem, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you mean the whole back panel
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Part number 25 on this diagram should give you access to everything except for the defrost timer which is either underneath the refrigerator and the front or back or inside the refrigerator section here's the diagram for the freezer however,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the wire broke in one of the tubes. I guess we need to get a part tomorrow
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay that's a common problem on these, this comes in a set so you will need to replace them both, I had a feeling that might be it, good job you can put this back together and it will run fine until the new part arrives it takes about three weeks the this to freeze back up again so this will give you plenty of time to get the new part just make sure you have the refrigerator unplugged when your replacing this, thanks and have a great night, Bryan, make sure you put the back panel back in the freezer or won't run correctly if you've got it defrosted all the way in a run fine until you get the new part.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.