Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

How hard is it to fix a Dacor oven? I have been having troubles

How hard is it to fix a Dacor oven? I have been having troubles with temperture control on my oven since about the day I got it (now oven is 5 years old and no longer under warrenty). Last Jan we replaced all the temp sensors and the relay board. Problem has gotten better but under heavy use it still has trouble getting to a set temp, or changing to a new set temp. Now, my repair guy says I need to replace those again plus get a new fan, power supply, and control panel assembly. How do I know if my repair shop knows what they are doing with these ovens.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Is this gas or electric you the model number?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan, this is an electric wall oven. I think the model number is XXXXX or maybe V-V-05380345. Not sure where to look for model number. When I had it worked on last year and they replaced the relay board and the temp sensors, the problem was that the oven kept shutting off randomly and spitting out an error message. I remember the repair guy saying the oven thought if was getting too hot and the shut down was automatic. That fix of a new relay board and temp sensors cost about $1000. I also put a surge protector in our main power box for the house as Dacor said that these ovens are sensitive to power surges and that could be causing my issues. That was another $400.

Since then the oven has been behaving more normally. No more shut downs. I keep a thermometer in there at all times and it has been looking like the temperature is fairly accurate. First issue I had was Thanksgiving. I used it a lot that day. When I went to put the turkey in, I set it for 425. It beeped like it was ready, but it was not at 425, more like 375. I went ahead and put the turkey in and I tried to up the temp (edit function) to 450 to compensate and the temp pretty much did not budge. Maybe that was because the turkey was in there. The next day I tested it a bunch. Set it to one temp, checked. Edited to another temp and checked. Seemed ok but I still called my repair guy to check. He came over and said it was not maintaining temp at all and that the fan was not going on when it should and, in fact, that he could not get the oven to turn off. He had to cut the power. When I came home and turned the power back on, it seemed fine. I tested it to 375 and it was fine. The repair guys tried to call Dacor when he was at the house but they did not answer. Now he says it needs all new parts. So, what do I do? Bag the oven as the fix is now like $1,700 and this oven has been bad since day 1 or, try to work with it. Dacor is not helpful. Their service is weak and a year ago I was on the phone with them a lot and it did no good.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay let me see what i can find out on this one, I have top have dinner but will be back in a little bit .
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm not finding anything on that model just doesn't come up, are they telling you it's going to be another $1700 or another 700 on top of the thousand you already spent or more? Decor is not very good with their service I really don't have an answer for you because the model number doesn't come up but it sounds like you just keep dumping money into this thing and I just don't see an end to it. They can't seem to get it fixed correctly and don't seem to be standing behind their work from what I can see, have you tried any other companies or is this with a recommended who's been coming to your home? It's nearly impossible to diagnose these on line to be honest because are so many tests that would need to be done including voltage tests ohms tests on the sensors even though they've been replaced in these have to be done at different temperatures it's very difficult with these ranges, my guess would be you're better off maybe think of a new unit of a different make, say Viking or Meile or Thermador, I wish I had more information I could give you on this but it just seems to be that this was a lemon and they can't seem to get it correct, you may put more money into it and have the same problem 3 to 6 months from now or another issue for that fact, it may be time to cut your losses on this unit to be honest but that's entirely up to you, if you decide to go ahead with it I would try another company that services Dacor, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.