Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My KENMORE calypso washer pump got clogged after my wife washed

Customer Question

My KENMORE calypso washer pump got clogged after my wife washed rugs (for the second time! after she stopped up the pump several years ago the same way - this is the last time!!) After i cleared the pump and replaced everything I'm getting a CL error. I have checked the drive and pump motor winding resistances and they are both ok (from the control board plugs) and also the connectors between the machine and motor pc boards. Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

You need to replace the drain pump even though the resistance is good and the pump is not jammed what happens is these strip on the shaft of the motor it may not look like it but they are trust me replace your pump and you will be in good shape, this will take care the issue trust me, I've seen this more than once and on all the same test as you, . Here is a link to the pump if you need a place to order it, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump-and-Motor/285990/1058894?modelNumber=110.21082000

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I NEED both the pump and motor?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes they no longer make the pump separate because they were stripping that's why they changed them, the unit is one piece now unfortunately so you have to replace the whole thing you cannot buy the pump separately anymore we used to do a lot of these and it would strip again and again so finally they stop making them altogether in put the pieces together in one piece so that's what you have to replace, I'm sure you know how to get to it you said you already cleaned out so it's not that difficult to put the new one in and it comes with instructions and this will take care of your problem, I wish you and your family a happy holiday season and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
This was not the solution to my problem.
Expert:  AnthonysTV&Appliance replied 2 years ago.
I don't see a CL error listed in the tech paperwork are you sure this is a CL error you are getting ?
or is SL
or CA or CI
does the washer wash at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The error is CE and it only runs 2 or 3 seconds before stopping. I have metered 110 volts to the motor control board. The manual lists resistance between the motor windings as between 10-12 ohms and 20-25 ohms --the old pump motor was 11 and 22 ohms, the brand-new one reads 19.9, 20.8 and 40.2 -do you think it may be bad or not the right one? (it is supposed to be correct replacement).
CE is a communications error between the motor contoller and the cpu
this is a digital signal that goes back to the computer
the computer is unable to speak to the motor controller or recv info from the motor controller
check your wire harnesses you may have knocked something off working on the pump
this will not be a heavy wire
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I have checked all the wires and connectors at least twice and all appear ok, also checked continuity with a meter on most plugs, etc, scraped the pins on the connectors etc..
This is not a pump error but a main motor error
look at the motor controller and the basket drive motor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How should I check this? Can I spin/move the motor and belt to see if its bound up? The windings ohm out according to the manual

the motor goes to a motor controller board
the motor controller board goes back to the computter board
the connection is between the motor controller and the cpu
so check the connections from the motor to the motor controller board
and from the motor controller backto the computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Inside the front cover is a nifty troubleshooting guide and one answer to the CE error is Has the drive motor thermal protector opened? Is this external or internal and how can I tell !! The connections u talked about previously appear to be good.
The thermal protector is part of the motor
if it was not running i do not see how it overheated
the most obvious thing is something you did since you did not have this problem before
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here's the sequence of events: Wife was washing regular load AFTER having washed rugs which eventually jammed the pump impellers. Part way thru that wash she got a FL error which we both recognised from before meaning the pump wasnt working properly. At that point I took the pump off and cleaned out the jam, put it back together and then we got the CE error immediately. I replaced the pump/motor with a supposedly brand new from the factory unit = still CE.

started troubleshooting then until now. Since I had cleaned out the pump once before all I did was lay the washer on its back, used pans to catch the water from the pump hoses, cleaned the pump and reattached it. I didnt get near the drive motor or the control panel = just the pump and its hoses. Heres where I am now - did the pump motor stall and overlod the motor control?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I still have my problem!!
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and will be helping you so please stay on line with me until we finish, i will try not to take up to much time ,, thanks

CE Communications Error If there is any breakdown in communication between the machine controller and the motor controller, CE flashes and the unit beeps once.

Some common causes of CE errors include:

· Conformal coating on serial communications pins between the machine controller and motor controller. After disconnecting power to the unit, try scraping this coating off the pins.

· Check the resistance values between the serial communications pins with the connectors in place. Make sure the harness does not have a bad connection.

· Check the quick disconnect at the motor terminal. The drive motor must be hooked up properly or a CE error will occur.

· Drive motor thermal protector has opened.

·Motor controller is not powered or fuse has opened. Replace motor controller.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Larry - all you told me is in the troubleshooting guide in the front panel ! Ive been over all that before, Should/must i replace anything else AT THE SAME TIME to keep from damaging the other control board or the new motor? Do you have experience in this? And what would have blown the motor control board - the fuse is even still good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still with me or did i lose your latest reply?
i sent a reply, didn't hear back so i logged off, sorry ,, trying to keep running and pumping and could not is what knocked out the board, i would just replace the board if it was me ,, sorry to be so long getting back to you