Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

REFRIGERATOR HAS ERROR CODES 5Y EF

REFRIGERATOR HAS ERROR CODES 5Y EF
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and will be helping you so please stay on line with me until we finish, i will try not to take up to much time ,, thanks

its SY EF and not 5Y EF
Error Code SY EF is the System Evaporator Fault.
This usually means there is NOT enough air flow over the sensor, this can mean a faulty sensor, or evaporator fan motor.
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do you tell the difference if if is the sensor or the fan, my husband thinks he hears the fan running.

Is the sensor mounted on the evap?

the sensor is mounted on the evaporator and if you can open the freezer door and hear and feel the fan blowing then the fan motor is ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is the evaporator fan motor located, in the fridge or in the back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its inside the freezer behind the inside back panel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  JCCARVER replied 2 years ago.

Unplug the refrigerator from the power outlet.

Access the evaporator assembly cover in the rear of the freezer section. In convertible units that can function either as refrigerators or freezers, and is located toward the bottom of the unit on the inner back wall -- if necessary, remove the two lower glass shelves and the crisper compartments.

Remove the screws securing the evaporator cover to the freezer wall, using a Phillips screwdriver.

Pull the evaporator cover away from the wall just enough to access the electrical connection behind the cover. Be careful not to damage the gaskets on either side of the evaporator cover. Reach behind the cover and disconnect the electrical connection from its wiring harness. Remove the evaporator cover from the freezer.

Remove the wires inside the exposed evaporator assembly from their retaining clips, then squeeze the quick-connect mechanism to detach the wires from the fan motor.

Remove the two hex-head screws that hold the fan motor mounting bracket to the back wall of the unit, using a 5/16-inch socket or nut driver.

Remove the two hex-head screws holding the fan motor to the mounting bracket, using the 5/16-inch socket or nut driver, then pull the fan blade off the motor shaft.

Examine the fan to make sure the blades are not damaged; if necessary, replace the fan itself as well as the motor. Slide the fan onto the motor shaft.

Attach the new motor to the mounting bracket, using the 5/16-inch socket or nut driver to secure the two hex-head screws.

Replace and tighten the two hex-head screws that hold the fan motor mounting bracket to the back wall of the unit, using the 5/16-inch socket or nut driver.

Reattach the the fan motor wires by clipping them back into the quick-connect mechanism, and set the wires back into their retaining clips in the same manner as they were attached.

Set the evaporator assembly cover back into place, then reach behind and connect the electrical connection into the wiring harness.

Secure the Phillips screws that hold the evaporator cover to the freezer wall.

Replace the shelves and crisper compartments if they were removed, then plug the refrigerator into its power source and verify proper operation.

Please hit GREEN ACCEPT button so I get paid for my time! Also positive feedback and a BONUS is greatly appreciated! Thank you Jamie B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there are 4 wires on the motor, one is neg, one is positive, what controls the other two wires and what are they for
Customer: replied 2 years ago.