Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an electric stove/oven. I sent the control panel to

I have an electric stove/oven. I sent the control panel to an independent repair tech to fix the relay. I made a schematic of the wiring Kitchen-aide part #9781980. When I received the panel back I realized that there were two 'extra' wire connections. One double black wire and one green. Each wire is attached to the control panel and to the body of the oven but there are still two clips on the other end of these wires that appear to be ground or neutral wires, but I'm not going to plug the unit in until I confirm that these two wires do not attach to anything. Other than not paying close enough attention when I took the board out, what's my problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you get us the full model number so I can see if I can pull up the wiring diagrams for this, now you say you have two extra wires coming from the stove itself? And there are two extra connectors on the board? Is that correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My wife will be home in 15-20 minutes. She filed the owners manual and model number away. I'll email them to you as soon as she gets home. Both wires are coming from the stove itself. There are three connector posts still available on the board. One is marked chassis, the other two are marked LI with a P4 next to it and another LI with a P5 next to it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
The line 1 or L-1 is usually a line in a power line, when your wife gets home see if you can get me the model number and I will see what I can do to look up the wiring diagrams for yours , thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model # XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

click this link wiring the wiring sheet should come up. I took a look at the clock or the control but it's small and I can't really see what's there, what you need to do I know to the green wire is definitely a ground wire which will probably be connected to the control metal body, take a look at the wiring diagram and tell me what you think about where these wires may connect, they have done retrofit kits on these and that's probably why there is a difference in the wiring sometimes you don't need them all but we have to make sure, let me know what you think when you look at the wiring diagrams.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry...that's over my head. The chassis post looks like it had a wire connected to it. The LI P4 also looks like it had a connector on it at some point. Both those posts are friction scratched. PI L5 does not look like it was ever used. Would it make sense to plug the green onto the chassis and the double black on LI P4? Can I fry it? Or should I not connect either of them? Could I fry it that way?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes that does sound right, black is power so that would make sense to go to L1 , in agreement is definitely a ground so yes I would say that's the way goes, how many wires total are there besides the plugs? In what color those wires? You say get those hooked up correct so I guess that really wouldn't make a difference they probably color-coded them to line right up, so yes I think you got it right if there was one connector that was scratched like it had a line on it before that's with a black one would go, and I know the green would go to the chassis that's a ground, I hope this helps I'm sorry the wire diagram didn't help much they are, complicated in without me being there I can't really do much more, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.