Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my side by side GE freezer is leaking water from the door.

Customer Question

my side by side GE freezer is leaking water from the door. we defroted everything incl. the coils under the rear panel, replaced the heater assmb. with thermo, replaced the defrost timer and poured hot water thru the drain tube, it seemed clear. the feezer is still forming an ice bank on the freezer floor and leaking water, also the refrig. side is only 45. I typed this question, paid the deposit and the web site says there is a prob. hopefully it has been cleared up
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Okay, is there any ice on the bottom of the freezer inside? Is there like a sheet of ice there? I you absolutely sure the water is coming through the door and not behind the grill in the front bottom? Let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes there is ice on the bottom of the freezer inside. a sheet of ice. I am almost certain the water is coming from the door. we have the front kick plate off and i don't see any moisture on the metal in that area.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay you say you poured water down the drain hole did it drain freely down the hole? You are talking about the hole under the evaporator coils inside the freezer behind the back wall correct? What I mean is you took the back panel off inside the freezer and poured water down the drain hole correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes to all.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay I want you to try simple test, you may have are done this I'm not sure, shut the water supply off to the refrigerator and let this run overnight see if the water disappears, also emptier ice cubes out of your ice auger, let me know if the water returns by tomorrow, I will be on and will have a better idea whether it's coming from your water supply or if it's something the do with the defrost for some reason or another issue, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, we shut the water supply off but i kind of think that's not a problem because we haven't used the ice maker for about 2 yrs. now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Actually that could be the reason you have in use the ice maker for a while it's possible that the ice maker valve having pressure all the time is now dripping water letting water through I'm not saying that's the cause for sure but this is one way to find out if it's coming somewhere from your water line then we can eliminate it if the water comes back tomorrow and we can go on from there it's just the easiest way to tell that particular cause, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i get back to you personally tomorrow and is a certain time best for you?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Just come back and reply and I will receive it will come directly to me because you and I are the only ones in this conversation so it won't go to anybody else, I'm easy on by eight in the morning and most of the day so I will be watching for your reply, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, see you then, thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay talk tomorrow, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sunday. no big ice layer on the freezer floor but there was a layer of ice in the trough where the drain hole is. ???? i never looked there in normal times past but i don't see how water would drain with that ice in there even the actual hole was open. i thawed it out with the blow dryer. what do you think. left over water in the supply line maybe. should we take a wait and see attitude. i don't know how often the defrost cycle kicks in and until then i wouldn't think there would be ice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Brian I think I messed up this message thing. Can you see my Sunday reply?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes I'm sorry I called you yesterday my mom fell and had to go assist with that, if there was ice in the drain hole in it wasn't draining that's really water is coming from, I usually recommend pouring boiling water down the hole to make sure it's clear all the way, a hairdryer works to get rid of the ice just under the coils but sometimes these can freeze more than an inch down the tube itself so I recommend pouring boiling water down the hole until it drains freely, that should take care of it, let me know if you have any other problems with it, thanks, Bryan