Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a 3 yr old Whirlpool Gold French door refrigerator.

Customer Question

I have a 3 yr old Whirlpool Gold French door refrigerator. The refrigerator is not working but the freezer is.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

So the freezer is working correctly but the refrigerator section does not that correct? If you open the freezer can you hear the fan running inside? Also check the back wall inside the freezer behind your food is there Frost on that panel? Let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the freezer is working. The fridge isn't. Yes the fan is running. Yes there is frost on the back panel and it appears to be covering the vents at the bottom.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay you have a defrost issue, what you will need to do and I know it's hard on this one because this is a three door refrigerator is you need to get that back panel out inside the back of the freezer and defrost it with a hairdryer, this can be a real pain but these because you have the drawer in the way but a lot of these you can just lift the whole drawer in assembly out-of-the-way but you will probably have to take side railings off to get the panel off and the ice maker if there is one in it, this is quite involved, the problem is the refrigerator is not auto defrosting, when this happens there is no air flow to the refrigerator section because it is all clogged up, do you think you can get that back panel off inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We emptied the fridge and freezer would it be easier to just unplug it and let it defrost itself?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes much easier you would need to leave the drawer open at least overnight around 24 hours in order for two defrost enough where the run correctly I would put some towels inside and in the back because there will be some water once this defrost is probably going to overfill the defrost pan underneath, I you planning on working on this yourself because there is something wrong with the defrost system, however if you defrost it for 24 hours with the door open and then plug it back in and about 12 hours it will stabilize again and run correctly for about three weeks before this happens again, so if you are planning on calling for a technician to service it then this will work temporarily for you, let me know what you want to do, you would need a voltmeter to be able check a few parts in this if you plan on working on this yourself. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not planning to repair it myself. So, can you estimate what it will cost to repair by any chance? This may sound strange but the light in the freezer quit working and the panel that is in between the doors is warm to touch and this all just happened.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well the average service call is around $79.00 plus the labor charge which averages about $40 an hour usually this job can be done in an hour though, the strip between the door is warm that's because the return lines run up that strip to keep moisture and what not from building up on the door gaskets , that is normal but considering you have a lot of Frost this refrigerator is probably running longer than it should be to try to get the refrigerator down to temperature which will make that strip warmer as far as the light I'm not sure but I'm sure that's nothing major, it could be the switch or the receptacle that the light goes in, at any rate like I said you have time once you get this defrosted completely this should straightened out at least the cooling part until you can get a technician out there thanks and very best wishes for a happy holiday, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for helping! Happy Holidays to you too!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome, thank you, Bryan