Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.

I have a GE refrigerator showing a "de" code. the freezer works

I have a GE refrigerator showing a "de" code. the freezer works fine but the refrigerator is cool not cold. How can I fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alan replied 4 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept.
Try unplugging the refrigerator for 5 minutes and that should reset it. If it comes back you have a defrost problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What would be required if it was a defrost problem?
Expert:  Alan replied 4 years ago.
It would most likely be a bad defrost heater. It is located behind the panel on the back wall of the freezer. You can look at the back wall in the freezer and see if there is any frost back there. If you don't see any frost there you may have to take that panel off and see if there is frost on the coils.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unplugging worked. If it happens again then it is the coil?
Expert:  Alan replied 4 years ago.
Most likely it will be a bad defrost heater.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After I unplugged the refrigerator and plugged it back in the de code went off but the problem persisted. I took off the panel in the freezer and the coil was frozen up. I melted the coil ice and put the panel back on. I am now waiting to see if it works. The de code is not showing. What are the chances that it is fixed and won't need a defrost heater?