Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my ge side by side (fridge and freezer) keeps freezing on the

my ge side by side (fridge and freezer) keeps freezing on the fridge side. the temperature setting is set on the lowest. the water on the freezer door keeps freezing and will not dispense. what can i do short of buying a new one?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

As far as the freezing on the refrigerator side you need to change the damper assembly to the new retrofit damper assembly, GE had to redesigned this because of freezing in the refrigerator section, it has been updated to prevent freezing in the refrigerator section, as far as the water in the door is actually freezing in the door itself or could it be that the water in the chiller tank inside the refrigerator is what's freezing and not allowing water to go to the door? Here is the new updated damper assembly, you will need to order and replace this, here is a link to where you can order the part, you will see when you go to that site how it says they had redesigned these to prevent freezing, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan