Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE hydrowave washer. I started getting a clicking

I have a GE hydrowave washer. I started getting a clicking noise during the entire agitation cycle. I found that the basket is moving with the agitator. The drive error code was flashing four times indicating a shaft tube drive failure. I checked the resistance across the shaft tube coil leads and found an open circuit. Per an on line site, this indicates a need to replace the shaft tube assembly. I replaced it. I still have the same problem even after clearing the error code. With the new shaft tube assembly I now have the proper resistance across the shaft tube coil. I believe this means I need to replace the motor. I am looking for confirmation. If I need to replace the motor, I will buy a new washer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Did you replaced this whole assembly?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ye I replaced the whole assembly
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
You're absolutely right if you replaced the whole assembly the motor is the issue, and you know how expensive that is , these machines have a lot of issues, but especially with the motors, you can read all over the Internet about these machines, if you are thinking of replacing the washer which I recommend, I would get a basic washer preferably a whirlpool direct drive top load, or a Roper which is made by whirlpool and is the same parts, these are inexpensive and the last a very long time they'll one of the best rated machines on the market today, people have a habit of buying all the fancy machines with all the bells and whistles but to be honest you buy a wash machine with just the timer knob water level control and temperature control and you'll be good to go for many years to come, these machines are relatively inexpensive most times under $300. I hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes for a happy holiday season, Bryan