Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Frigidaire Gallery series refrigerator and it is

We have a Frigidaire Gallery series refrigerator and it is slowly not keeping food cold in either the freezer or the fridge side and the setting i moved all the way to coldest last night?

is there something we can do to repair it?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you open the freezer and look on the back wall behind your food is there any Frost at all on that panel? Let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Bryan thanks for the help....
No there is no frost in the freezer on the back panel...
The fridge is running but no cold??
Do you know if the fan in the freezer is running? Can you hear it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I can hear the fan in the freezer
The fan is running but you getting absolutely no air flow into the refrigerator section? At all? What you need to do is remove all the food from the freezer and then the shelves, then remove the back panel inside the freezer, you need to check the Frost pattern on the evaporator coils, do you think you can do this? It's not real difficult and there are screws that hold the panel in, we need to see whether it is frosting correctly or if there is a defrost issue, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed the panel and there is a ton of frost behind the plate, and I was wrong on my first response there was some frost on the panel on the food side, It was just down low in the freezer. I took a picture with my camera phone but not sure how to send it thru the site??
If you have an email address i can send it if it would be of help.
Steve
That's what I thought, you have a defrost problem, first thing you do is take a hairdryer in defrost the coils completely, just shut the refrigerator off while you do it I really don't need a picture of it I know what's going on with it get it defrosted and then put the cover back on and turn it on and let it run, bike today after lunch it should be cooling right down again, most likely you have an issue with your defrost timer, your defrost thermostat, or the defrost heater, if you have a meter I can tell you how to test to find out which part is bad if you wish, let me know but in the meantime at least get that defrost as quickly as possible and plug it back in so it can start cooling again , it will take about 2 to 3 weeks for to freeze back up again like that so it'll run fine the meantime so we can determine the problem you would need a voltmeter and know how to check continuity, let me know if you are able to get one or have one and we will continue this after you have this all defrosted, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Bryan.

I do not have a volt meter but can get one at work on Monday.

If you can help walk me thru the volt meter testing are these parts that i can purchase and easily replace? or is this something i should call a repair company to complete? I am concerned about where to get parts etc...

If it is an easy repair can i leave this line open? so we can work on it later next week? I just hate to lose you :) and have to start all over again...

Let me know either way

Yes I can help you test these parts, and it's better if you do it on Monday anyway because you need to test the defrost thermostat while it's cold, so by Monday it will be nice and cold and much easier to test, in the meantime just go ahead and defrost that and put it back together and this will run fine until then, and yes you can come back on Monday and just reply to me you will lose me all your replies come directly to me, even after you press accept you will have 30 days to reply to me at no additional charge so it's okay to go ahead and accept now if you wish and I will still be available on Monday, even Monday evening I worked late so if you work that's fine I will be around in the evening also, thanks so much and we'll talk again soon, Bryan