Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a 10 year old Kenmore Elite side by side, the refrigerator

I have a 10 year old Kenmore Elite side by side, the refrigerator side seems seems to be keeping cool but the freezer side is not cold enough to freeze but the temp seems like the refrigerator side. Is their something on the freezer side that needs to be replaced or changed?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you get us the full model number, it should be on the inside on one of the side walls or the ceiling inside the refrigerator section. Also when you open the freezer can you look behind your food and tell me if there is any Frost on that back wall at all? Look real good, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Model: Kenmore cold spot: model # XXXXX

No frost on back walls of freezer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay is the fan running in the freezer? Also have you heard any clicking or buzzing going on coming from behind the refrigerator where the compressor is about every 3 to 4 min.? And can you pull a refrigerator away from the wall and check the fan beside the compressor? If this stops the compressor will shut down earlier than that supposed to in won't keep things as cold as it should, there is one giveaway for the fan also if you feel the strip going down the center between the doors if that's getting warm or hot then the fan behind the refrigerator the cools the compressor has stopped. Let me know what you find, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like the fan is running in the freezer. I took the cardboard off the back and can see the fan is spinning but inside the freezer it doesn't seem like there is enough cold air to keep things real cold.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay and you don't hear any clicking or buzzing coming from the compressor correct? The next up you gonna have to take is to remove the back panel behind the food in the freezer to check the Frost on the evaporator coils, we need to see what the Frost pattern looks like do you think you can do that? Just take your food out and the shelves and you should be able to remove the back panel there will be screws. Let me know if you can do it thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan I hear some clicking in the back of the unit but it does not seem like anything comes on after the click.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Oh okay so you do hear clicking coming from right around the side of the compressor possibly? The relay on the side is like a box? Does it sound like it's trying to start something and then just shuts off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like it clicks and wants to start but nothing comes on. There is no frost pattern on the freezer coils at all, they are clean and clear.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay, this can only be one of two things then, either the relay for the compressor has failed and that's the clicking you hear or the compressor itself has failed, unplug the refrigerator and on the side of the compressor is a black box probably has a clip around it holding on remove the clip and the black cover and you will see a white part which is the overload and you will also see this, plugged onto the side of the compressor and take a screwdriver and pry the Brown piece off it comes straight off make sure the refrigerator is unplugged really get zapped. What you have it off the compressor shake it, if it rattles its failed, if it is bad you can order it at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Relay/8201799/1164371?modelNumber=106.50502990 thanks and best wishes, Bryan