Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Maytag dishwasher Model MDB4100AWB. This machine recently

Maytag dishwasher Model MDB4100AWB. This machine recently stopped taking the water out properly and after checking the lower parts, I found that the impeller wash broken and was spinning on the shaft. I replaced this and still no water removal. We have noticed that the control knob hums and turns but most of the time nothing happens. Help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

The hum is coming from the control panel and not the motor down below? Does it sound like it's coming from the timer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the hum or buzz is coming from the control knob area as it turns.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
That sounds like the timer, and the motor does nothing it all but did before you changed the impeller?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay this buzzing could be the relay for the motor. Causing it, if you have a problem with this it can sometimes make the timer buzz is a try to start the motor but the motor is not starting, this is usually behind the front kick panel under the door, be careful it's live shut the machine off and check the wiring on that to see if one burnt.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sometimes the motor does runs, but it just does not remove the water. The buzz is behind the control knob. If you turn the knob to light wash the lower arm spins but no water comes in and no water goes out. The light wash and rinse cycles is the only place that the unit will do anything.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like the timer may be the problem the timer has contacts in it and these contacts can burn also there like points in a car the old cars not today's cars course, and from what you're saying when you turn to light wash the lower spins I'm not sure but I would think it would be the timer not sending power to the motor for the regular wash but you also say no water goes in and the water comes out so I'm a little confused, when you first start this at the beginning of the cycle no water comes in it all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Some water does come in but very little. Mostly all that happens is the spinning of the lower arm.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay when you say very little how much in inches is in the bottom after this fills in the beginning? Does it reach the heater?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
enough comes in that it covers the heater.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I'm not really sure what's going on with this, it doesn't make sense that the bottom spray arm only runs in light cycle, the motor doesn't run any differently in a light cycle it does on a regular cycle it's just a shorter cycle control by the timer, but you said is no water pressure and you are to change the impeller so I just don't get it it's like if the motor runs in sprays in light cycle but not spraying hard I'm thinking it has to be the motor, it has to be weak and doesn't have enough power to distribute the water through the spray arms, there is no real test for that so I don't know what to tell you, the only thing you can do is replace the motor if it is actually turning then the timer is doing it's job I believe, this is a real conundrum the stars figure out why it's not spraying after putting in a new impeller assembly, has to be the motor, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.