Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

ultra fabric care elec dryer, no heat , fuse checks ok, 120v

ultra fabric care elec dryer, no heat , fuse checks ok, 120v to each leg od element and element reads 10.3 ohms . everything else operates ok just no heat.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you get me the full model number it should be inside the door when you open it on a tag, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
be right back
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
model 86980100 69801 kenmore no heat
lost brian some how
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
86980100 69801 dryer electric
You should be getting 220 V to this dryer not 110 how did you check this? Did you have a voltmeter to check it with? Did you check at the plug or at the dryer itself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ground to each wire at element connectors w/ volt meter

So you getting 110 V on each side to you get to 220 if you go across the two sides?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

didn't try that

i did tie the fuse wires together and ran dryer with no heat

should i disconnect from element to do this?

It's best if you do at least take one wire off the element you have to be really careful though, this will be live and under what you get hurt but you should have 220 V going to the heating element if you do then the element itself is bad, it's best to unplug the dryer and put a lead on each one of the wires going to the main element and tape them off so they don't touch anything and then try it, please just be careful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

pulled one wire off and put the meter between wire and element and got 63 volts

i'm baffled because i read 10.3 ohms across the element connection last night and that is supposed to be in the wheel house of 8 to 25 ohms? although on the low side!

your missing half the voltage to the element , go to ground with one of the wires at a time which one is missing power ? should be 110 on each.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did, i have 116 volts from each wire to ground
but not 220 between them ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sorry i just did it again and you are right, one leg is 1.0 something volts

not getting voltage to both legs........ what now

this is the first time i have done something online like this, it has been cool so far!

Well now comes the fun part I guess, you need to trace the wire that doesn't have power back to either the motor one of the thermostats or the timer, it gets a little tougher from here the wire the doesn't have power where it is ago does it go directly to one of the thermostats on the heater? Does your meter have continuity capabilities? Actually we can forgo that if you wanted to test the thermostat you can test each side of the thermostat and see if there is one tend to ground and if you find a bad thermostat you lo hundred is otherwise you how to trace it back to either the timer or the motor. When Tracing the wires please unplug the machine. Let me know what you find, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

you got me thinking when i got 110 v on each leg at element i had it connected stil so i have been back tracking s we were talking.\

just checked plug at wall 110 on one side to ground and 40 volts on other.

same at breaker in panel........ do i have a bad breaker on one leg?

Thats your problem, good job wow I'm impressed, you probably do have a bad breaker or shut the breaker off and pull the cover off the plug receptacle where the dryer plugs in check that and see if you burned wire off it wouldn't be the first time I've seen that, let me know what you find it's definitely electrical issue and not a dryer issue. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i reset breaker at beginning of problem to make sure it wasn't tripped.

as i back tracked i just checked from ground to each screw on the breaker and that was what i seen on meter 110 on one leg and 40 on the other

i just check the buss on each leg and 120 both side in panel and havn't lost anything else in house so i;m assuming breaker it self is bad .........does that make sense?

also i want to make sure i do the apyment thing correct , where is this but to pay you

and thank you in adavance for your assitance

please let me know if i'm assuming correctly

and again thanks

I believe you have nailed it, it sounds to me like a bad breaker also, you did a great job by the way it's a pleasure working with people that know what they're doing, in order to pay me all you have to do is press the green accept button and you also have 30 days after you do if you have any further additional questions on this and there will be no additional cost, thank you so much and you have a great holiday and a great night, Bryan