Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My GE Fridge is making some weird noises. Sounds like it

Customer Question

My GE Fridge is making some weird noises. Sounds like it is mostly coming from the freezer side of my side by side. There is a whirling noise that starts and stops every few seconds. When I unplug the fridge and plug it back in the problem will stop for a few hours, but eventually returns. What could this be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you get me the full model number it will be inside the refrigerator on one of the side walls or on the ceiling. Thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
GSL25IFRF BS I am not sure if the "I" is an "I" or a 1
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
The fan is stopping in going is caused by a bad mother board, that's why when you unplug it and way little while and plug it in it will work for a few hours, the transformer on the motherboard that runs the fan at 13.5 V is failing, GE had to redesigned these boards four times because of these failures, you need to replace the board with the newest redesigned board, this board is located on the back of the refrigerator if you pull away from the wall, there will be an 8 x 10" cover the board is behind this cover, it's a plug-and-play so it's very easy to install plus it comes with instructions, you need to order and replace this board, the part number is, WR55X10942 and you can order it at the following link if you wish or if you have an appliance parts warehouse near your house than they will definitely have this board every warehouse stock some because of all of problems with them, here's the link in case you want order it on line, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?modelNumber=GSL25IFRFBS a web search of the part number will probably yield you a better price if you want to look, this failure is well-documented and there is a lot of information on the net to back up this diagnosis, I hope this helps, thanks and very best wishes for a happy holiday season, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan, What if this is not the fix? Also It has now just stopped making the noise, and I hear no noises (good or bad ) coming from my Frisge. Do you think a new Mother board will still hellp this problem.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well in my experience for your situation it's the fix trust me, if the refrigerator is now completely silent no fans no compressor running it's probably in a defrost cycle, this goes into a defrost cycle every eight hours to defrost any Frost on the evaporator coils behind the back panel inside the freezer section so I wouldn't panic about that unless it doesn't come back on in the next hour, normally this defrost cycle will last about 45 min. to an hour and in the refrigerator will come back on by itself but the fan problem is definitely a board issue, if you order the board at the link I gave you it is returnable if by some chance it doesn't take care of your issue, if it doesn't it would be the fan itself in the freezer section behind that panel in the back but that's rare on that refrigerator, so let it run and it should come back on about an hour, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also, about how much should I pay for a new Motherboard? I am finding your answer helpful, and will accept it shortly. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You have already accepted please do not press accept again or you will be charged twice I don't see that the new mother board is about $160.00 or thereabouts but I have seen them cheaper if you do a web search actually hang on I'm going to check for you, appliance parts pros is charging $138 for it. Here's that link, http://www.appliancepartspros.com/Appliance-Parts/ge-main-control-board-assembly-item-number-ap4436216.aspx?pn_=WR55X10942 I would check though for a return a no questions asked return because the one I gave you before has a no questions asked return policy so it might be worth spending a little more to be on the safe side, Sears gets about $148 and I know they won't return it a lot of companies won't return electronic parts so you pretty safe with repair clinic but that's up to you, I'm pretty confident it's gonna take care of your problem however, thanks and very best wishes for a happy holiday season, Bryan