Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Whirlpool Washing Machine is display reading: F - 21.

Customer Question

My Whirlpool Washing Machine is display reading: F - 21. What is that and what can I do. It is not completing the cleaning cycle. Pamela  XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

F21 means that your washer isn't draining properly. There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch. If you find nothing and the drain hose is clear, replace your drain pump.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What if this doesn't fix it. Will I have to pay another $50.00 to go to the next thing?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no, never. Just reply back here and I can walk you through whatever issue you might be going on at no additional charge for up to 30 days even after you accept.

The only other scenario would be if you're getting the F21 error but there isn't actually any water in the tub. Then the sensor is just reading incorrectly and the pressure switch sensor would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now after we cleaned out the drain catch, the next load said "5-D". What now?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
that's SD and it means that your your washer thinks it's still full of suds or water. If there is definitely nothing in the pump and there's no water in the tub, you now need to replace your pressure sensor. To access the pressure switch, pull the washer forward and remove the 2 or 3 screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. The pressure switch is mounted to the right side wall above the tub and is the only part with several wires going to it as well as a small rubber hose.