Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I am having a problem with my dishwasher, Whirlpool model#GU940SCGB2,

I am having a problem with my dishwasher, Whirlpool model#GU940SCGB2, Serial#FK0543488.
It sounds like something is obstructing the motor to spin.
I had this problem in the past, I was instructed to remove the mechanism on the bottom of the inside of the unit and manually turn the motor shaft, this relieved the problem.
When I turn the shaft at this time I relieve the obstruction but it reoccurs. it doesn't feel like food, it feels more solid, and reoccurs in a random manner.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

Have you pulled the impeller out or just the chopper blade?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This unit has a large plastic spinning mechanism the is removed easily with a thumb screw. I then remove a cover which is attached with about 9 torx head screws.The top of the shaft is under the cover, it looks like a black cap, plastic, this is what I turn. This cap is secured with a screw in the middle.
Ok this is the impeller, You will need to take this out by removing the nut at the top while holding the impeller with a wrench. It's a tough job but will come undone. Once you have the impeller out you will see a chopper blade right under. It's likely you have a bread tie or a piece of glass blocking the chopper blade.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Hitting the accept button does not exclude you from asking further questions at a later date. Please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort.

Please don't leave feedback until we are completely finished,this is a process, you may want to come back later and I would be happy to give you additional assistance if needed. Taking time to give me Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The plastic impeller hex head is breaking down as I add pressure to break the screw. Do I need a special tool to hold the hex? It is a really bad angle, I don't care about having to replace the part but I don't want to totally distroy the head and make it impossible to remove it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert off line or with another party
You need a wrench to hold the impeller, and a socket set with a extension to get the nut, as I said it is tough to get out but it will come with a little force.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We got the impeller off, there was nothing on the screen below it we, took apart the housing under the impeller and found a cherry seed and a couple of white plastic balls the size of a marble. The white marble things are light and idenical. Are they suppose to be there?
Ok yes the white balls are supposed to be inside the oval hole. Ok if everything is clear and you are still feeling the shaft of the motor hard to turn then the motor has seized up and will need to be replaced.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I see a small oval hole, but I think it's the drain. The small white balls were within the large circular area, floating freely by the blade. Is this where they are supposed to be?

The shaft is spinning freely now.

I have included a schematic below that will show you where the small white balls are supposed to be.

graphic

If when you get the unit back together you still have the same problem then you will need to install a new impeller kit.

Click here to order the part

Thanks!