Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

i have a whirlpool gold side by side fridge, model # XXXXX

i have a whirlpool gold side by side fridge, model # XXXXX build date 08/04. i just replaced the control board inside the unit that displays temp-it was reading 88/88. now, the display works fine, but im getting an audible single and dual beep from inside the freezer portion, and a noise that sounds like girgling, but actually sounds like an actuator thats not opening/closing. this happens when the unit is plugged in, and trying to start compressor and fan to cool the unit. any suggestions, because i cant really affford a new unit. i am an automotive tech. with 20 plus yrs of experience.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you recheck that model number it doesn't seem to be coming up?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
try gc3phenxs00-the third from the last digit is color-b is black, s is stainless
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay I think I have it up, you say replace the control board, was it this one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it was. the display was flashing 88/88, and also flickering. board fixed those problems, but i still have the beeps and girgling/actuator noise. it was doing it before i replaced the board.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
This noise where does it sound like it's coming from exactly? The back of the refrigerator or at the dispenser or inside the freezer? It's hard to pinpoint it if we don't know the general area, also you say the compressor is not starting is that correct? So this is not cooling at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it does cycle, but it doesnt come on right away. the noise seems to be coming from the bottom/ back inside the freezer compartment. ive got the freezer set to 0. this am, i went into fridge, freezer was at 6 degrees, the display went brighter than normal, and the beeps and noise started. took about 10 minutes for the compressor and fan to start. then after it cooled down, it was 1 beep, and couldnt make up its mind to stay on,or turn off
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
There are more than one board in this there are actually three different boards, you have the compressor inverter board and also another control board in the back by the compressor, 6° is not a bad temperature we you find out why you're getting a beep. That is kind of strange. This is the inverter, and this is the control board or otherwise known as the relay board, this is the one causing your issue because this is the one that has the alarm on it, it's the round part the top right corner picture that is the alarm, you need to replace this board, this is located in the back of the refrigerator if you pull away from the wall it will be in a box near the compressor, if it's not they are it is underneath the refrigerator between the coils I'm not sure on yours the diagrams are very vague and only show the parts but not without located so you will have to trace the wiring to find the boards, you can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Relay-Board/W10219463/1548001?modelNumber=GC3PHEXNB01 this will take care of your issue, thanks and best wishes for a happy holiday season, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.