Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  Install, repair and trouble shoot
26609390

My Kenmore washing machine will not start.... it will not fill

Customer Question

My Kenmore washing machine will not start.... it will not fill with water, nothing, it does not even hum when you start it. I checked the lid switch... i can hear it click when its depressed.... any thoughts
Submitted: 5 years ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is Charles and I am happy to assist you today!!

Do you have any lights come on ??

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.

Can you check the outlet to make sure you have power??

Or you can just check the breakers, normally you will at least get some lights on the washer. If the outlets have power then I will be able to start narrowing it down for you,

Charles

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Did that... i plugged my washer into the same outlet as my dryer thats working...

Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks. What is the model of the washer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
mav6457aww serial # 10059458cr
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,

It sounds like the lid switch fuse has blown or the main control board has gone bad.

How old is your washer??

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure...its my sisters... i'm trying to fix it for her....gotta be more than 5 years... I looked for a fuse and could'nt find one. I noticed on the wiring diagram that it could be equipped with a 10a fuse but could'nt find one...where would it be located?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.

The fuses are located in a couple of places. Most of the time they are located on the control panel (behind the knobs) the lid switch will be located under the top of the washer. Locate the place on the washer where the small switch hole is on the washer and it will be under that.

Thanks again,

Charles

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So it does have a fuse? I could not find any in the control panel. I know where the lid switch is, is it under that?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.
Yes, its a direct contact switch. The other place to check would be to follow the power cord into the washer and if there is one it will be along that area.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked this washer over good.... did not find one fuse..... checked from the power cord to the lid switch to the timer....no fuse.... removed the lid switch, looked under there... nothing.... opened up the control contactors in the panel behind the knobs... nothing.... any thoughts?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.
The only thing left would be a problem with the control board. Does it look scorched anyplace??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not see any scorch marks anywhere in the control panel..... when you say control board, do you mean the timer? I found out that this washer is probably 10 - 12 years old.....
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.

By control bard i mean the main board that everything else plugs into.

Follow the power cord again and it should to the control board.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I look at the parts schematic I do not see a control board listed. When I follow the power cord it plugs into the lid switch and then to the Timer and then into the various control knobs.... nothing that says "control board"

Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.
You need to check the lid switch then. You can use a volt meter to see if you get power on the other side of the switch.