Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My washers control panel will not light up or work - but the

My washers control panel will not light up or work - but the drum light comes on so there is power. Any help? Model #MDE4658AYW
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Do you have a voltmeter? Do you know how to check voltage to this? Let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
The first thing you need to do is pull the dryer away from the wall unplug it and remove the cover over where the cord connects on the dryer, you will see this, put your meter on AC voltage and plug the dryer in test across the two outside post the two gold ones it should read 220 V, that's the first thing you need to check let me know if you do, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan - I don't have a voltage reader - just one for outlets. Is there anything else to do now without one?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay well I gather you have one of those lights doesn't have separate prongs or is it the kind you plug in to test power? The kind that has a regular outlet plug on it? The reason I'm asking is because if you're not getting 220 V that means one side of your power is missing to the dryer which will mean the light inside will still work but the controls will light up I'm hoping it's that simple for you, let me know if you have the one that has the prongs I can show you another way to do it does.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mine is the 3 prong outlet tester.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay so it's the kind you just plug into an outlet that is not going to work? Do you have fuses or breakers in your home? Also have you taken the cover off with the cord connects yet? There's no burnt or bad wire there is there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a breaker box but checked it and everything looks ok. I'm not sure what you mean by the cover to the cord connects - the computer looking board had no burnt or bad wires seen.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay my suggestion is at this point is to go to Lowe's or any hardware store and pick up a cheap voltmeter, you can get one for $10-$12 you don't need a real expensive one, we need to do some voltage checking, what I meant by the cord is the cord is connected to the dryer in the back there is a cover over that where the cord connects have you taken at off and look at the cord itself to make sure it hasn't burnt a wire or a connector at that point?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK it will pick up one - the cord connection is where we are going to test for voltage correct? (it looks like it in the picture) I have to go to work so will get back in touch later - do I just go back to this site?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes , I will be here all day into tonight, talk, later, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - talk to you later.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Talk then, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

The dryer is working!!!!! The management came to check the outlet as I had recent work done and they worked @ that area and behold the breaker was not switched back to the correct position. I did flip those breakers once before but must not have the majic touch. Thank you for all you help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
That's fantastic ! Glad to hear that you got it going I knew it was a power problem and not the dryer so I was on the right track, thank you very much and please don't forget press the green accept button so I can get paid for helping you, have a great day and thanks, Bryan